Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Part #2 My experience with the equinox 800 for newbies and new 800 owners.

samuelgbrannan

• Part #2

• Lean how to get more good targets under your 800. This means finding better beach locations, learning to read ocean beaches and doing your research and getting better permissions. Hint: A good researched permission hunted with a Garret Ace will produce more good finds than a poorly researched hunt site hunted with an 800.
  • A good test garden of buried good targets and junk targets is a great learning tool to use for mastering the 800. Don’t forget to bury a couple of dimes at different depths to practice your use of the pinpoint feature to judge depth of a target.
  • There will come a moment after many months when you finally get it and start being at one with the 800 and never doubting its abilities.
  • Get off the “if I just had a better detector” band wagon now that you have the 800. You have one of the best and it will be a leading detector for a long time just like the AT Pro was in its time.
  • Expand your research of good sites further from your home.
  • When you find a site that is giving up some good targets like wheats and Indian head pennies, slow down and hunt that site carefully.
  • If you even go to ocean beaches just on your weekly vacation, learn to read beaches.
  • Do not use any cover on your control unit in the summer heat. Do not leave your 800 in a closed car in the summer heat.
  • Don’t bang your coil against anything, the mounting flanges are not as strong as they could have been.
  • The 800 is a hot machine so empty your hole of all ferrous and non-ferrous targets before covering your hole. The 800 has a reputation for finding very small pieces of ferrous and non-ferrous metals and this can be frustrating. A good target could be still hiding in the hole.
  • Don’t expect rock solid display numbers. The 800 is a bit jumpy because it is reporting all that it sees below the coil and rarely is it just a single non-ferrous target under the coil. Having a more narrow numerical display range of 50 rather than 99 does not help. Get used to it, because that is just the way it is.
  • The 800 is not a beep and dig machine, it takes a lot longer to master the 800. Until you master the 800 it is more like a beep, boop, beep and dig and dig and pinpoint and pinpoint and dig more machine in trashy areas.
  • If the 800 reports a brief display number for at type of target like 26-27 you will most likely find a clad or silver dime. The 800 is very good at reporting good targets among junk.
  • Eliminating bottle caps is easy – eliminating aluminum screw caps is impossible.
  • Check your settings carefully before every hunt. Remember they are saved from the previous hunt. For instance on one hunt I had to crank down the sensitivity and on the next hunt I was not finding as much as I thought I should only to see that the sensitivity was on 17 from the previous hunt and on the new site it should have been about 22.
  • Re-visit your older hunt sites that you hunted with other detectors. Don’t be afraid to hunt those sites heavily hunted by other detectorists. The 800 can find items that other detectors could not pick out of the trash. This is one of the main design features of the 800.
  • An interview with one of the 800 designers revealed that the physical depth limit of modern detectors has for the most part been reached due to physics so the Minelab engineers concentrated on designing detector improvements for the 800 to find previously hidden targets due to masking by ferrous metals.
  • Read and re-read the 800 Equinox manual. Especially learn what the setting are for in the default modes and what those settings mean. This gives you a much better idea on when to use different modes for different hunt sites.
  • A successful hunt with the 800 is determined by the operator knowledge.

• Part #2

• Lean how to get more good targets under your 800. This means finding better beach locations, learning to read ocean beaches and doing your research and getting better permissions. Hint: A good researched permission hunted with a Garret Ace will produce more good finds than a poorly researched hunt site hunted with an 800.
  • A good test garden of buried good targets and junk targets is a great learning tool to use for mastering the 800. Don’t forget to bury a couple of dimes at different depths to practice your use of the pinpoint feature to judge depth of a target.
  • There will come a moment after many months when you finally get it and start being at one with the 800 and never doubting its abilities.
  • Get off the “if I just had a better detector” band wagon now that you have the 800. You have one of the best and it will be a leading detector for a long time just like the AT Pro was in its time.
  • Expand your research of good sites further from your home.
  • When you find a site that is giving up some good targets like wheats and Indian head pennies, slow down and hunt that site carefully.
  • If you even go to ocean beaches just on your weekly vacation, learn to read beaches.
  • Do not use any cover on your control unit in the summer heat. Do not leave your 800 in a closed car in the summer heat.
  • Don’t bang your coil against anything, the mounting flanges are not as strong as they could have been.
  • The 800 is a hot machine so empty your hole of all ferrous and non-ferrous targets before covering your hole. The 800 has a reputation for finding very small pieces of ferrous and non-ferrous metals and this can be frustrating. A good target could be still hiding in the hole.
  • Don’t expect rock solid display numbers. The 800 is a bit jumpy because it is reporting all that it sees below the coil and rarely is it just a single non-ferrous target under the coil. Having a more narrow numerical display range of 50 rather than 99 does not help. Get used to it, because that is just the way it is.
  • The 800 is not a beep and dig machine, it takes a lot longer to master the 800. Until you master the 800 it is more like a beep, boop, beep and dig and dig and pinpoint and pinpoint and dig more machine in trashy areas.
  • If the 800 reports a brief display number for at type of target like 26-27 you will most likely find a clad or silver dime. The 800 is very good at reporting good targets among junk.
  • Eliminating bottle caps is easy – eliminating aluminum screw caps is impossible.
  • Check your settings carefully before every hunt. Remember they are saved from the previous hunt. For instance on one hunt I had to crank down the sensitivity and on the next hunt I was not finding as much as I thought I should only to see that the sensitivity was on 17 from the previous hunt and on the new site it should have been about 22.
  • Re-visit your older hunt sites that you hunted with other detectors. Don’t be afraid to hunt those sites heavily hunted by other detectorists. The 800 can find items that other detectors could not pick out of the trash. This is one of the main design features of the 800.
  • An interview with one of the 800 designers revealed that the physical depth limit of modern detectors has for the most part been reached due to physics so the Minelab engineers concentrated on designing detector improvements for the 800 to find previously hidden targets due to masking by ferrous metals.
  • Read and re-read the 800 Equinox manual. Especially learn what the setting are for in the default modes and what those settings mean. This gives you a much better idea on when to use different modes for different hunt sites.
  • A successful hunt with the 800 is determined by the operator knowledge.
Very in depth review!...Nice job & thanks for posting part 1 and 2.