Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Part #3

laplander

Administrator
Staff member
Minelab's 3rd installment on the Multi IQ technology https://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-3
HH
Laplander

Interesting, we may be using BEACH-2 for silver hunting. According to the article, B2 uses the lowest weighted multi-freq spread.

Yep. VERY interesting.

The only issue is, I'm not sure if anything else that is happening "behind the scenes" in that beach mode 2 -- specifically the things that are being done to handle salt conditions SPECIFICALLY, will still provide reasonable enough ground handling in normal "dirt" types of mineralization, as opposed to salt sand conditions. IF this mode can handle regular dirt with similar effectiveness as the ground handling employed in the "dirt" modes, this would indeed seem like it could possibly be the "hottest" mode on silver...

Definitely something to experiment with.

Steve

I dont see what you see....... it says for beach mode.........BUT uses different algorithms to maximise ground balancing for salt....dirt uses a different algorithm. Id say that doesnt include a salt setting. So i dont know that i would be using the beach mode to dirt hunt with its VERY LOW freq combo.....maybe beach mode 1. You have to be impressed if the testers are saying multi freq is as good as 20 and 40khz on raw gold. Thats quite a statement. I also have to assume this will transfer to beach hunting..... even in the water. So we either have excited testers or the real deal at an unbelievable price.

sgoss66 said:
Yep. VERY interesting.

The only issue is, I'm not sure if anything else that is happening "behind the scenes" in that beach mode 2 -- specifically the things that are being done to handle salt conditions SPECIFICALLY, will still provide reasonable enough ground handling in normal "dirt" types of mineralization, as opposed to salt sand conditions. IF this mode can handle regular dirt with similar effectiveness as the ground handling employed in the "dirt" modes, this would indeed seem like it could possibly be the "hottest" mode on silver...

Steve

Just spit-balling here.....

Most of Oklahoma was once (actually several times) a vast sea. The majority of our soil (that typical red OK dirt) is composed of shales and gyp deposited during these times. Shouldn't that mean there is a much higher salt content in our ground? May explain why aluminum and zinc deteriorate so rapidly. Maybe we would do better with a "salt mode"?

I would give it a go and then compare those results after you switch to park mode.
Are your targets any deeper than 6 inches due to the red dirt?
There is a field I hunt here in NJ that has a red dirt base and most targets hardly get to eight inches.

BigTony said:
I would give it a go and then compare those results after you switch to park mode.
Are your targets any deeper than 6 inches due to the red dirt?
There is a field I hunt here in NJ that has a red dirt base and most targets hardly get to eight inches.

Yes, I have detected coins as deep as 12 inches locally although I have seen them after dirt scrapes that would have had them originally 18 inches deep. Most seem to come from 6 to 7 inch zone though.

Jason in Enid said:

Most of Oklahoma was once (actually several times) a vast sea. The majority of our soil (that typical red OK dirt) is composed of shales and gyp deposited during these times. Shouldn't that mean there is a much higher salt content in our ground? May explain why aluminum and zinc deteriorate so rapidly. Maybe we would do better with a "salt mode"?

True, about the "used to be ocean here" thing. Interesting thought, about whether our soil is "salty." I'm not sure; I know we are rather "alkaline," from a pH perspective, but not sure about the salts...

It will definitely be worth trying the beach mode (mode 2) and see how it performs...

Steve

Jason in Enid said:
Interesting, we may be using BEACH-2 for silver hunting. According to the article, B2 uses the lowest weighted multi-freq spread.

I noticed that too. Beach 2 being weighted towards "very" low frequency, hence high conductors, is the thought anyway. The algorithms may be different, though, so we'll only know with testing what will be the best mode for deep silver.

Lots of good stuff in that Part 3 info release. Thanks Minelab.

Jason in Enid said:
Yep. VERY interesting.

Steve

I would guess most the salt leached out & went way down or out to sea. BTW out Zincins rot fast up here too. 100 yrs from now a MDer
will jump for joy if he finds a readable date or even an identifiable coin ! By then they will be a blob of crap, and no longer round.

Jason in Enid said:
Yep. VERY interesting.

Steve

Wonder if either Beach Mode 1 or 2 will be able to handle Beach hunting on the Great Salt Lake? It is a 'challenging' location.

Rich (Utah)

Rich (Utah) said:
Wonder if either Beach Mode 1 or 2 will be able to handle Beach hunting on the Great Salt Lake? It is a 'challenging' location.

Rich (Utah)

TomNH said:
I would guess most the salt leached out & went way down or out to sea. BTW out Zincins rot fast up here too. 100 yrs from now a MDer
will jump for joy if he finds a readable date or even an identifiable coin ! By then they will be a blob of crap, and no longer round.

IDK Tom, Id say there quite a bit of salt left.

This is a pic of our "Great Salt Plains". It's the last remnant of the last inland sea that covered our area. I could definitely give the Platypus a go in this area!
Yes, all that white you see is dried salt on the surface. If you drive through there after a rain your car will be a giant white salt block on wheels.

Pretty much every rock that isn't volcanic was formed in a sea- and many of those were as well. Plate tectonics moved everything around horizontally and vertically.
As to residual salt, no, its long weathered away by rainfall. Sure, theres basins with limited precipitation and drainage, but those aren't common and are readily identified.

Now, as to what works best in what soil with the Eq, that's one we'll just have to see.