Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Patriot/F70. Does "SL" stand for silver maybe?

dgerst

I've been running SL since it gives a serious depth increase at lower thresholds while being more quiet than positive threshold in DE. I'm generally about -2 and 50-75 sensitivity. This is the fourth silver (2 rings, 2 coins) on the same set of batteries. Was in a heavily hunted courthouse lawn. I've personally witnessed a Detech Ultimate 13 on a V3i go over this very spot. SL is not supposed to give as good of separation as DE but there was trash all over this coin. It sounded super solid and gave a consistent 85-90 VDI. I was pretty certain it was silver before I dug it.
52.jpg

Nice!
I have used both SL and DE each for many hundreds of hours.
Use SL a lot, (i did for weeks one time), and then switch back to DE and you can really notice the speed difference like big time.
I have never heard anyone say or notice a post where anyone mentions a separation difference between SL and DE but I can see how someone can think that way...if they aren't going slow in SL.
I still get stellar separation in SL using g both disc and all metal and I see no difference compared to DE as long as your swing speed is optimum for that slower choice.

I've been running in disc at about 2. I've read that SL doesn't give much extra depth at thresholds above 0. That has been my experience as well. However it sure does at -2 or less. I've had to trade off between sensitivity, speed, and threshold. So far I'm liking the SL with 50-75 sens, and -2 or so threshold. It's reasonably quiet that way and gets some serious depth. I don't mind swinging slow as the areas I've been working lately have been hit hard and I've been working them pretty methodically. I'll have to try getting used to DE with higher threshold though. Dug up a pretty nice 1918 wheatie and an unidentifiable one in the same lawn yesterday.

dgerst said:
I've been running in disc at about 2. I've read that SL doesn't give much extra depth at thresholds above 0. That has been my experience as well. However it sure does at -2 or less. I've had to trade off between sensitivity, speed, and threshold. So far I'm liking the SL with 50-75 sens, and -2 or so threshold. It's reasonably quiet that way and gets some serious depth. I don't mind swinging slow as the areas I've been working lately have been hit hard and I've been working them pretty methodically. I'll have to try getting used to DE with higher threshold though. Dug up a pretty nice 1918 wheatie and an unidentifiable one in the same lawn yesterday.

I use all metal, 99 sense and +9 thresh plus SL on program 2...always.
Sometimes just as a check, sometimes I hunt with them.
I found in my iron infested sites it seems to have some great unmasking power even if that way high thresh doesn't give you extra depth.

Here is a handy chart in this thread comparing these settings.
https://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2430631

Thanks for the thread link. Kind of sounds like I'm setting mine up similar to the way MarkCZ mentioned. If I can't get past negative threshold I'll go to SL.

I've tried setting Program 2 maxed out but I'm definitely going to have become more acquainted with it. It's still a wall of sound to me.

dgerst said:
Thanks for the thread link. Kind of sounds like I'm setting mine up similar to the way MarkCZ mentioned. If I can't get past negative threshold I'll go to SL.

I've tried setting Program 2 maxed out but I'm definitely going to have become more acquainted with it. It's still a wall of sound to me.

Ha!
That maxed out all metal stuff that I call my blast through settings cannot be adapted to immediately....it took me a while and many hunts to slowly get used to them and be able to notice the real quick indications and behavior of a possible good target but in time they became normal and natural to me.
Once I was hunting with a friend that ran with an E Trac and he walked beside me to listen to the tones and watch the screen as I swung in a particularly dense and challenging site.
After about 30 seconds he looked at me and asked how in the world I could make any sense at all out of the numbers changing and going by so fast on the screen and the literal wall of sound coming out of the speaker.
I told him it took practice, practice and then more practice before it all clicked.
As confused as he was about it all he still understood that for me it works because he sees what and how much I was able to find on every hunt we had together.

Time+Effort+Knowledge=Success...this is an equation that has worked for me since day one in this hobby.