Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Patriot & Omega coils

Markmac

Hi guys and gals,have been thinking of purchasing the new Teknetics Patriot which from what I have read is a rebadged Fisher F70 so it has my attention for the new price point it now has{ Thanks First Texas}...Having an Omega and Gamma I wanted to know If thecoils would interchange from my Omega to the Patriot since they run on diff frequencies,so called First Texas last week to ask and they told me they would call me back and let me know so today I was notified from them that yes my Omega three coil pack will work on the Patriot which was good news to me and maybe others out there that may have had the same concern before purchasing another detector.....I said to Juan at First Texas oh great now your going to make me buy a new Patrtiot with that news....So wanted to let you all know if you own a Greek series detector Delta,Gamma,Omega the coils will work with the new Patriot as long as they have the screw on connector...Thanks and good hunting....Markmac

Dave Johnson has said many different times even though coils might interchange between brands and work....that doesn't mean they will work well or even close to optimum.
It is an exact clone of the F70, supposedly, and nothing but dedicated F70/F75 coils have ever been recommended by him or anyone else at FTP or any hunter for an F70 from what I know so that is all I use and will ever use.
Well, check that, I just got a Nel coil but I made sure it was designed for the F70 and it works fine.

I just find it strange that this has all of a sudden changed.
All you can do is try and see how things shake out if you already got the coils.
You will not have a baseline to compare to so it might be hard to know if things are close to right but WV62 has done a lot of air testing on many Fishers including the F70 and has some good charts on the F Series forum posted.
Again different homes, different conditions so results may still vary but it's something, anyway.

Plus you get a great all around coil on the Patriot so if the other coils don't actually work you can still hunt...and hunt well.

Hello Revier,yes I seem to remember that about the fisher coils as well not being as compatiable that's why I called last week and was called back this week telling yes they are so I was concerned about that fact but was just relaying what I was told today by First Texas so maybe Dave will see this and jump in and let us all know for sure.Thanks for responding and best of luck to You this summer....Markmac

That is strange indeed. If it is an F70 clone with no modifications except esthetics, compatibility can't suddenly change.

We've been told so many times that coils could be interchangeable between the F70/F75 and Greek series machines but with a possible/ very probable loss in performance. If the Greek coils are indeed fully compatible with the Patriot with zero loss in any performance parameters I'm very interested.

Hi dfmike,I was not told about possible or very probable depth loss just that they were compatable with each other because i had doubts with the Patriot being an f70 clone so guess we will maybe learn more on here or in time from others that have tried coils on both.Thanks for your response and great hunting to You this summer....Markmac

Here's what Dave Johnson, Chief Designer at First Texas posted about 6 months ago on this forum. It may be that something has changed since then in regards to the F70/Patriot or that some further testing/investigation at their end has altered their recommendation. I have asked for clarification and will post it as soon as I get it.

Depends on what you mean by "work". Responding to some of the questions and comments in this thread:

1. F75 and F70 searchcoils are interchangeable.

2. T2 coils are their own animal, will not work at all on anything else (or vice versa).

3. F5 uses the "Greek" ("Fratbros") searchcoil series. These are wired the same as the F75/70 searchcoils but are electrically different. Even though some customers have tried searchcoils from one series on a machine designed for the other series and decided that they "work", the factory is not going to say that they "work' because we know there is performance degradation whether or not the customer knows (or even cares) about that.

4. The legacy BH coil series was also used on the Fisher F2 and F4. Although these may plug into F75/70 and Greek/Fratbros machines and actually beep, performance is severely degraded.

5. The 19 kHz machines (Gold Bug and others derived from that platform) are designed specifically to use the DD searchcoils of the Greek/Fratbros series. Depending on the individual searchcoil, a concentric may work fairly well or not at all or anything in between.

6. In general, plugging the wrong searchcoil into a metal detector is not going to cause any damage to the detector although we cannot guarantee a thing like that.

If anybody needs more info on this or any other subject, including how to get a discount code, feel free to PM me.

Thanks lytle78 for your response and it will be interesting to see what clarification you receive back from what i was told today from the factory.last week when i originally called and asked about it they told me they were working on seeing what coils would work with the patriot,maybe things have changed then again maybe what i was told is wrong and we will soon get clarification on this.Not that it is going to be a deal breaker for me one way or another if the coils cant be used on both detectors but if they were then makes it even more temting to get a new Patriot as well to add to the detector collection lol..Have a great evening and I appreciate everyone posting their thoughts.....Markmac

Markmac, I suspect that whoever you talked to at the factory misunderstood your question, or that you misunderstood their response.

The Patriot uses F70/75 series searchcoils. Fratbros are wired the same but are electrically different, they may "work" but there will be degradation of performance. It's all explained in Lytle78's post.

Hello Dave, Thanks for responding on here and setting it straight about the coils being able to be shared between the frat bros and the new Patriot.It was not a misunderstanding by either parties for we talked twice about it once last week then was told yesterday that the coils would share but obviously that's incorrect so I accept what you say here and Im sorry for any confusion that may have occurred here by my original post.From past experience of Teknetics Omega I knew they originally were not shared coils but didn't know if something had been changed with the release of the Patriot under the Teknetics name.Thanks again Dave and Lytle78, dfmike and Revier for sharing your thoughts and taking the time to post.Have a great day....Markmac

I think number 3 of lytle78's post says it all and the F5 is quite similar to your Omega and 100 percent the same regarding coil compatibility.

If you decide to get the Patriot you could still try it but at least you will be prepared for mushy results if they occur. I remember trying the F5/Omega stock concentric on my F19 and though it worked, it turned my beloved F19 into something I didn't like. It was still worth a try since I knew it wouldn't damage it.

Hi dfmike,Im sure my next detector will be from First Texas since I own a Gamma 6000 and Omega 8000 and Dave Johnson and the gang there seem to far ahead of the rest so it will probably be either a T2 classic or a Teknetics Patriot.Thanks for taking the time to share with us......Markmac