Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pennies

Baring key dates, they are worth 1/100th of a dollar each. If they are too crapped up to be accepted at the bank, you must take them to the Philadelphia mint and they will send you a check for the rotten ones (or so I have been told, never tried it). Of course 1982 & older solid pennies are worth about 2.5 cents in raw materials currently. Newer zinc are a small fraction of a cent on the market currently.
I am open to correction, as always!
Tom the ever willing to state the obvious!
:geek:

Copied from a us mint reference:
"A full 50-cent roll of pre-1982/83 coins weighs 5.4 oz. compared to a post 1982/83 roll which weighs 4.4 oz."

If you assume an even distribution of copper versus clad coins and no key dates or mis-stamped rarities, 10 lbs it is worth approximately $16.
tvr

Richard I just tumbled my pennies and I figured I had something like 15 pounds and the bank gave me $37.51. Happy Trails.... Z

Do you have to tumble your coins before you take them to the bank. Many of my pennies are in bad shape and I do not have a tumbler. If I were to purchase a tumbler what kind should I get?
Thanks

You can clean them up with soap and water, and run them through a Coinstar machine at your nearest Walmart. It will kick out the rotten ones, I've got a two barrel "Thumlers Tumbler" my girls got me for Fathers day, so I run a load of Q's and D's in one, and some dirty P's in the other..nickles are run seperately...the coins that come out clean I roll and spend. If you are really intent on knocking down some serious clad, a Tumbler will pay for itself...The rotten zinc pennies go into a special coffee can, what I'll use them for, I have no Idea...maybe pay a tax bill someday!..:heh:
Mud

Richard this is the one I use. I have had it for a few years. It was only $29 when I got mine.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-rotary-rock-tumbler-67631.html
Go to Walmart and get some fish tank rocks The white color ones, the blue dye comes off the blue rocks. You can use them over and over. It probably is a 3 pound bag for $3 or $4. Pennies tumble by them self. Rest of coins can be tumbled together. Put in a little dish washer soap and I put a Brillo pad in with each load. Add a little water to cover coins and I add 1 oz. of lemon juice to the quarters, dimes and nickels. Tumble for 2 - 3 hours or more. Everyone does it different so you will find out there are many ways to tumble coins. Hope this helps?? Thanks for looking. Happy Trails......Z

Thank you for your good advice. I will pick one up and start cleaning my coins. I am surprised at how many coins one can dig up in a year! I live in San Diego with lots of public parks which are great for hunting but with I live close to a civil war area to locate some older stuff. Thank you again, your a bunch of nice guys!