Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

People Are Always Asking.....................................

plidn1

What is the best Detector To buy ? or Where can I find gold? or How do you find so much gold all the time?
It's very simple.
I hunt every day and I hunt in places where people have the opportunity to lose jewelry.
I have a good quality detector that is gold sensitive and is capable of giving me lots of valuable information on what is in the ground. I have learned to understand what it is telling me and have learned it inside and out. I use the right coil for the place and conditions I am working. I use no discrimination and dig most everything that isn't iron.
The detector is only a tool. Knowing how and where to use it, it's strong points, capabilities, and it's short comings is the secret.
Everyone thinks they own the best detector made. I make mine the best there is.

Yep don't matter what your swinging. If its not under your coil ya ain't finding it!

People would find more with whatever detector they are using if they would slow down their search, dig a lot of iffy signals and get to know their machines capabilities better.

Back in the early 70s the only detectors were beep and dig. Discriminators were iffy at best and you were still better off digging everything. Silver was plentiful and I don't remember there being the incredible amounts of trash we have now, but I was in my late teens and probably wouldn't have noticed the ups and downs of digging so much as I do now anyway.
You guys are right, knowing your machine and digging more iffy signals is the way to go, but maybe hunting in all metal and digging everything is better yet. I am just not sure I can do it any more.

BillF said:
Back in the early 70s the only detectors were beep and dig. Discriminators were iffy at best and you were still better off digging everything. Silver was plentiful and I don't remember there being the incredible amounts of trash we have now, but I was in my late teens and probably wouldn't have noticed the ups and downs of digging so much as I do now anyway.
You guys are right, knowing your machine and digging more iffy signals is the way to go, but maybe hunting in all metal and digging everything is better yet. I am just not sure I can do it any more.

Bill I started in 79 with a Garrett ADS deep seeker. IT had the latest discriminator and the mine set at the time was to dig everything that hit nickel and up.
I tried a lot of Garrett's and settled on the ADS3. It was my go to detector until 3 years ago. I found a lot of coins, but seldom anything else.
I then bought an MXT, and I hated it. Almost sold it.
But being as stubborn as I am, I vowed to learn that machine. In the coarse of learning it, I also learned how to hunt and the results are staggering.
I am 63 years old now and your right, I can only last about 2 hours digging it all.
Then I head for the tot lots. But if you want to find the gold, You have to wallow in squalor..

About '79 or '80, maybe later(heck, I can't remember), my detector had to be sent back for repair. Our local dealer loaned me a Garrett Groundhog, taught me how to use reverse disc with it and I loved it, one of the best machines I ever used. Wish I could do that now with the technology we currently have.
I bought an Xterra 705 earlier this year. I experiment with it constantly to learn it inside and out. So far its working for me.
I have been hunting a small area not far from home. One guy stopped one day while I was hunting and told me there just isn't anything there, he had found a couple of dimes and a few pennies, not much else.
Since then, I gave gone through there in AM and listened for good and iffy signals -between the trash- and pulled over 300 coins out of that little area. Experience and familiarity with the machine counts.

That's a big Diddo.
I just love it when I am told The place is worked out.
I have found more good stuff in worked out parks then any other place.

I always had at least two detectors. But I always had my ADS 3 and a ground hog.

I also believe, with the exception of nitch detectors, that you use only one detector. That way you learn it's values and particular language. All detectors are different with a different language and quirks of there own.
By using only one, you don't get confused and when an odd situation comes at you, you can trust your machine and learn a new lesson. When you become one with your detector, then you have a good one. Every day, every hunting spot is different. Something as simple as weather can change the way a detector responds to a target let alone all the other factors involved. The only way to truly over come these challenges and be successful, is to really know your tool.

These forums if read by noobs, sure accelerate their learning curve you guys had to go through on your own...

I got lucky, didnt know a thing except I always wanted to detect, so a few years back I went to the local dealer and got that F70 on his recommendation, I ran it in Autotune for the better part of the year, one tone, all metal. looking at the screen the whole time! I met an older guy who was detecting in a field, and he took some pity on me I guess, told me to use a screwdriver, dig 1000 tabs and dig 1000 pennys as fast as I can. (we are still friends!) Skill with the machine, fast retrieval, dedication, paying attention to locations and just plain trying to out run and out gun the competition, especially in those popular totters or stretches of beach that get frequently pounded is what I try to do, that and reading as many posts from experienced hunters and applying that in the field. Thanks for all your help! :please:
Mud

Mud,
I don't know if it accelerates the noobs learning curve much, but for me, out detecting, maybe not finding much, my mind goes back over some of these posts and the seed that somewhat else planted germinates and I remember it. I love these forums for that reason, what a great tool we have here. Thanks, Find mall.
Plidn1,
You are so right, every day can be different. I can go into a spot that I have been over many times, had good finds, but for whatever reason, different humidity, Mars in conjunction with Venus, who the heck knows, today I go in and pull things out I thought were long gone.
We all tell folks that ask, "You just never know what you're gonna find." Ain't that the truth?

The first thread of this run hits the nail on the head IMHO. Any decent, functional detector only does one thing really, it alerts the user to the presence of metal. All the bells an whistles available on different machines offer some conveniences, but in the end it's just a machine's best guess and your still just alerted to the fact that there's metal of some sort under the coil. The best detector is the one YOU have learned to operate the best. The best ID system - your eyes.
BB

I agree withPlidn1 the best detector is the one you know the most about. A person that knows the ACE 250 inside out will probably find more treasure than someone with a CTX 3030 that does not know much about it.

The best discriminator in the world is a good digger.

I have used the MXT, the AT Pro and CTX 3030. I know the AT PRO and MXT very well and have found all kinds of treasure with them. I' m now trying to learn the CTX 3030
The same way I know the other two. I want to give myself the greatest opportunity to find the most and I believe the CTX can provide me that opportunity if I will learn it.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. Pure and simple.

Almost any detector will recognize metal fairly accurately. It's up to the operator to determine what metal the detector is recognizing.

Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Remember 5 % of the detectorists find 90% of the treasure. The 5% are the dedicated, determined and educated.

:cool:Hey, findin anything? Everfind any gold rings? How much does one of dem tings cost? I been wantin to git me one of dem dare tings. Where can I git me one? Or.........this is private property !!!!
I usually tell them that I have been digging up pull tabs all day and that I think every Tom Dick and Harry out there already has one and they all have been here already and found everything....(while trying not to make my jewelry in my pouch ting ting.......:detecting:

I've noticed many people saying that they 'have one of those, got it from Radio Shack...yours looks a little more expensive'.