Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Peoria Park District?

gregD

Does nyone know if Peoria Parks allow detecting? Robinson and detweiller were on my interest list

well guess there's no problem according to the nice lady who picked up the phone.

:)

It's fair game! Go at it and stay hydrated. It's nasty outside. HH, Nancy

Yea it wont be till monday that i can go unfortunately :(

Hopefully the temps will be lower and less humidity then.

I was going to go in the weeeee early hours of morning....things are usually pretty nice still!

i'm running into the problem now that there are more place I want to hunt than there is time!

Wish we had that kind of problems. Be careful out there!

If you hit the Peoria parks Greg, I would look for out of the way nooks and crannies that might have been over looked by other hunters. The parks have been hit hard over the last 60 years and some very nice finds have been found there, some recently. Places are never hunted out but good finds might be far and few between.

The other extreme is like Steve did and hunt the tot lots that get replenished often. Good luck hunting, wish I could join you but my work calendar is booked to the max for the rest of the month.

I have a nook, i hope it pans out will know monday!

I emailed them, and was told by the Park District Director that, nature preserves and athletic fields are off limits. Other than that it's fair game! I know this is an older post but, i'm new here and just thought I would share the information. hh

Welcome to the the forum Pmedic, glad you can join in.

Hi Pmedic, Welcome to the forum. Hope you've been enjoying this unusual Winter weather. It's sure been a strange one and I'm ready to get out and swing the detector. HH, Nancy

Thanks Nancy. I sure have been enjoying the weather. I have been into this hobby off and on since I was 10 years old (1986). We lived in Arizona at the time and my dad would take his White's metal detector out to the desert on the weekends. He never really found much that I can remember. For whatever reason he didn't stay with the hobby for very long. I have only been detecting steadily for about a year or so, and get out when I can. The coolest thing I have found so far was last summer, I was visiting some family in Missouri. They live about 12 miles from where the Civil War battle of Hartville took place, and I found a horse saddle stirrup in their back yard. I am still learning how to use my AT pro but I like the machine so far. Maybe I will see some of you around sometime in the parks. I just received permission the other day from a farmer to hunt his fields. According to some old maps I have looked at, it looks like there were home sites there at one time. Other than that, I am pretty much at the mercy of public areas.

That's cool that you've got childhood memories about you and your father detecting. Cherish them. Maybe he was tired of seeing all the scorpions or fuzzy spiders AKA Tarantellas. :shocked: For whatever reason, he was the one that got you started in the hobby. Your stirrup is an awesome find. Not many have found relics like that or can. You'll get use to your AT Pro. The field hunting is fun and can be tiring. Hope you can find some items. HH!

I spent a couple hours at Robinson yesterday. No finds to speak of really but, it sure wouldn't surprise me if there are finds to be be had judging by how old the trash was that I dug. I did spend about 45 minutes at Glen Oak, and found a 1950 wheat penny about 2 1/2 inches down. Being so shallow I assume it was just another dropped coin but, still pretty cool. The $4.80 I dug yesterday at least paid for my gas to get to Peoria...lol (I live in El Paso).

Hey, that's a great start. $4.80 isn't bad at all. Do you do anything special with your "clad" coins? Years ago, Larry and I would do a LOT of clad detecting and we would save ours for the year. Then cash the coins in and use that for our weekend getaway. Boy, that's been a few years back. Now we love detecting the older places. Clad hunting is still fun but we can't do it like we use to. We remember our first day of finding over $50 and since then, we've had a few of those kind of days.

Here's an older picture when we were finding all the clad.
[attachment 342464 2003_FINDS_edited.jpg]

Boy, those were the days.... we would pack a sack lunch and pick a direction to go and hit the playgrounds and sports fields until we were so tired we could not go anymore. :beers:

That's allot of clad...lol Like many other people I have a "change jar" at home for my loose change but, the clad I find detecting is put into a separate jar and at the end of the year I cash it in at the bank and donate it to various museums/county historical societies.