Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Percussion Cap Hammer

Pete4AU

Last week, in an old mining-camp-stage-stop-post-office in the middle of nowhere, just how I like it, I was fortunate enough to find this percussion cap hammer still attached to the plate. I was getting hot and tired and pissed off from finding lots of garbage. Then, in a few seconds, everything got good. Many of you can relate. If you want to see this hammer being found hit the 'Watch On Vimeo' button.

All the best

Pete4AU

[attachment 293857 Captured_2014-6-11_000001.JPG][attachment 293858 Captured_2014-6-11_000022.JPG]

[video]http://vimeo.com/98610955[/video]

Pete, very nice finds!
Take a look at your old post on the "Eagle Button" for a true ID of that item.
Adios,Chispa

I thought was an eagle button! Now, it's way more interesting and I'll stick it in a display case with some other period artifacts.

Here's the video of the

Glad I could help Pete!
Love the video, now get back to that site and find the wreath for that buckle.
Forgot to mention but that buckle is known as the "Large Eagle 21 Stars" and is one of the less commonly encountered varieties of tongue and wreath buckles, complete examples have been found in El Dorado, Amador and Sierra Counties.
It is very common for that style of buckle to break off from the belt loop like yours has-notice the jagged edge on the one side.
More than likely that site has more goodies, Commonly found in close proximity are coins, suspender parts, powder flasks etc.
There's no better way to date a site than a tongue and wreath-dead on 1850s!
Without giving away too much info can you share a bit of the history of the site?
Chispa

"Without giving away too much info can you share a bit of the history of the site?
Chispa"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
50 odd miles from Sacramento in a part of the country that was surface mined hard during the gold rush, (which occurred just after god created man.) It was then agriculture, mainly grain crops, hence the numerous horse, mule and ox shoes in the area. In the 1930's it was again worked hard for gold and now it is grazed by cattle when the grass is green. The area has been and continues to be detected but I believe the best stuff is yet to be found.
Let me know if you are ever in the Sacto area and I'll be happy to take you out. But you gotta be fit for the job.

Again, thanks for the buckle info.

Pete4AU

Because of problems accessing the videos through the Vimeo button I'm puttinig the website url here. There are a bunch of detecting and outdoor videos. Many of them are PG rated for language. http://peteforgold.com