Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

A

Anonymous

Please let me clarify:
-The Sovereign that you have is an excellent beach hunter. As I stated I have the XS and it's the best beach detector I've used. It's now THE ONLY one I use. It's ability to detect good metal next to iron puts it heads above any other brands on the market.
Don't worry about its abilities compared to a Whites for instance. Whites makes great detectors, don't get me wrong, but in my opinion the Sovereign is a superior beach machine to any Whites if you learn how to use it.
-I've also read that the Sovereign will completely ignore mineralized ground. It has no problem with salt for instance or very light sprinkling of black sand. Perhaps Minelab was overzealous in making that claim though because the Sovereign and the Excal freak out in moderate to heavy black sand. In the gold fields you're going to find lot's of black sand so your Sov will not work well as a nugget detector.
There is no metal detector that can do everything. That's why I use a Whites Goldmaster for nugget hunting. One needs different tools for different jobs.
-I doubt that coil type or size will make a difference. The signal processing portion of the electronics is where this particular limitation for any detector lies.
So, in conclusion, if you bought the Sov primarily because you wanted to use it for the gold fields, you're going to be disapointed. By all means try it for that. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did.
If you bought it more because you wanted the best beach machine you made the right choice in my opinion. Again, the Whites machines are are awsome detectors but if you hunt beaches where there is lots of iron (nails, spikes, scrap etc.) the Sov will whip a Whites any day.
One last thing. The BB at a few inches. In soil or sand, with no black sand, the Sov will do as well or better as a Whites for a target that size. To get that size nugget in the gold fields you need a detector that is designed to find small gold in mineralized soil. The Goldmaster is awsome for finding tiny gold in the gold fields but it is not good beach machine. Different tools for different applications.
I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. I'm just trying to give you the best advice I can based on the years of experience I have with metal detecting. Pleae feel free to to ask more questions. That's what we're here for.
Good luck.