Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Perhaps the right forum...

slingshot

To ask if anyone has used a pinpointer to scan the shallows while swimming? I'm considering the new Garrett's/zlink. I want something concealable to avoid disturbance, as well as having the 360° detection field.

Maybe we have never tried that. You would have a very small detecting field with a pin pointer and a very shallow depth. I am wondering why the Z link and not the standard carrot as you would only be relying on the vibrations from the pin pointer once it was under water.

I think the problem is your post. You are asking for something that you can conceal, hide, so so others dont know what you are doing. This is a beach and water detecting forum, grab your detector and scoop and go to it. Unless its not legal where you want to search and hence the need for all the secrecy?

GeorgeinSC said:
Maybe we have never tried that. You would have a very small detecting field with a pin pointer and a very shallow depth. I am wondering why the Z link and not the standard carrot as you would only be relying on the vibrations from the pin pointer once it was under water.
The new one is submersible to 10 feet- instead of 5. Also, I think this video shows good depth as well as side detectionhttps://youtu.be/kSgsqbYL_CQ

Jason in Enid said:
I think the problem is your post. You are asking for something that you can conceal, hide, so so others dont know what you are doing. This is a beach and water detecting forum, grab your detector and scoop and go to it. Unless its not legal where you want to search and hence the need for all the secrecy?
Last time I went, everyone wanted to know if I found THEIR ring. When I asked one if it was silver or gold, he replied "both!"- trying to cover all bases! The crowd pressure for detectorists is savage! And if you offend just ONE person, you might as well go home! And just this morning at a local park, I was asked to sweep the bark chips smooth when I finished. I apologized and said where did I miss? He said that I did fine, BUT just make sure to do it? We had a great conversation after that and left shaking hands. But just the initial conversation shows how people watch this hobby.

OK. I had no sooner posted my reply than my friend sent a video of city code enforcement worker who was telling a homeowner he must prevent the SMELL of his barbeque he was grilling from leaving his yard! The late Karl Von Mueller was a big proponent of avoiding the public.

slingshot, I don't know where you live, but you need to move to a free-er state area.

Champ Ferguson said:
slingshot, I don't know where you live, but you need to move to a free-er state area.[/quote
Perhaps- but more likely another forum to find the answer to my question.

What are you exactly trying to do ??.. Hide and detect at the beach ?? Or, just want to see if anyone has ever used just a pin-pointer.

Elton said:
What are you exactly trying to do ??.. Hide and detect at the beach ?? Or, just want to see if anyone has ever used just a pin-pointer.
Well,specifically a pinpointer with side detection. However, from experience- and watching videos- most time is spent weaving among swimmers and avoid being bothered. OK- maybe I should have just asked is the side detection on say a Garrett propointer sufficient to have a 3"-4"" scan? That way, I'll have both a beach hunter AND pinpointer. Thus the original question: "Has anyone ever used a pinpointer to scan the shallows while swimming?" If it's a problem, I'll rely on the YouTube videos. And thanks to the member who answered my pm on the scubatector.:thumbup:

" If it's a problem, I'll rely on the YouTube videos. And thanks to the member who answered my pm on the scubatector.:thumbup:"

No it isn't a problem at all. I was just curious if you wanted to do it..or was asking if anyone had tried detecting with a pinpointer..