Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Periscope Probe Question

AK in KY

Does the periscope have to be in contact with the target to work properly? If not, how close does it have to be?

AK in KY

When I had mine I found to get a signal on the coin it had to be within a inch to a inch and a half, now to ID it you had to touch the target if i remember right, if I am wrong about touching it I am sure some one will say. That is the way I remember mine.

If you air test with sensitivity set to max you can detect at a couple of inches. But... the explorer interferes with high sensitivity. I talked to the manufacturer about this and he had noted the same thing, suggested turning the explorer off. Also ground mineralization limits distance.

I seldom use max sensitivity and this means I need to be pretty close to detect it, which is the whole point. You need to be even closer to accurately discriminate. I only use mine to check ferrous/non-ferrous. That gives me a chance to check out iffy signals without having to dig.

I find it real hard to detect without my periscope.

Pretty close is right - in air testing I only get about 5/8" but that's not the point - it's not a longer range detector like a Uniprobe - it doesn't have to be.

I pinpoint the target with the Explorer then stick the probe in the ground slightly beyond where i think the target is - if I don't get contact - I pull out the probe drag it an inch or two towards me and stick it in the ground again and repeat until you make contact. I usually get it on the first or second stick. Worst case you stick it in/out a few times - sounds burdonsome but it isn't - as you can stick it in/out as fast as you can move your arm up and down - so even in worst cases - as long as the ground isn't hardpan it'll only take a second or two.

Verification is with contact but again - no big deal to get contact - in fact that's half the fun of using the Periscope you get to quickly and easily touch the target before you even think about reaching for your digger.

Re: interference - I don't turn the Explorer off - just point the coil and shaft away from the target and don't have a problem - as to hear the change in frequency of the pulses of the Periscope as you approach a metal object is very clear and distinctive.

Does anyone know what has happened to JiM Ott. He is no longer making Periscopes. This is the best accessory for TH I have ever used. The hole size is usually no larger tht 2 inches in diameter and quick ID as far as ferrous or non-ferrous is easy.

Jim is still around and he will do repairs.
The real question is what happened - why is the Periscope no longer being manufactured and will it ever be manufactured again by Jim or anyone else?