Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Permission to hunt private property

pulltab

Why am I finding it so hard to ask permission to hunt on private property. I found a perfect spot in an older Part of town
And I couldn't make to the door

pulltab said:
Why am I finding it so hard to ask permission to hunt on private property. I found a perfect spot in an older Part of town
And I couldn't make to the door

Gather up your nerve, and most importantly, dress nicely. Don't show up in detecting gear like camo pants with a big shovel in your hand. I don't even bring my detector up. It is in the car and I invite them to take a look at it.

I know how you feel but really what is the worst that can happen / GET OUT OF HERE!!!! you dirt diggin metal finding bum
Maybe a little research and you will find out you know somebody that knows somebody that knows the property owner.

I like to catch them when they are outside

Kinda like those old dances when we were young..:nopity: When we wanted to dance with the pretty girl. The dreaded long walk back when she said "NO" LOL So we didn't ask. Not wanting to hear that.

Years later you find out she had a crush on you ..:inlove:,and would have jumped had you asked.... So just nerve it up..:sadwalk: Tell em what you do, and ask if it's OK....

Good luck........

Nothing ventured nothing gained. You will never know unless you ask. It's a 50/50 chance.:)

Hi I'm EL......... My hobby is recovering lost items....... Your place looks like and area there may be some interesting things lost in the ground.

Would you consider my detecting the area and see what can be found ?? I will let you see all I find, and give you some interesting items recovered.. Indian Head pennies, Wheat cents what ever you venture out there to the owner.. make it interesting to him too. I try not to mention Silver coins or rings.... just smaller denomination coins and relic finds.....

thanx for the replies
i have no problem asking people from work, but not strangers.
i saw a guy tilling his yard today at a house in an older part of town,
and just couldn't get the nerve to stop and ask, will try tomorrow.

I have been amazed at how many people say yes to me hunting their yards. Most of my best finds this year have been from hunting yards. While I have not been keeping track exactly, I'm guessing I get about 85-90% yes. My approach is really simple: "Hi, my hobby is hunting yards in older neighborhoods and I would like your permission to hunt your yard." Usually I get some response like "Have a good time!" or "Knock yourself out". Sometimes they ask a few questions which I always answer honestly. Rarely do they ask for any of it and, in most cases, they say whatever I find I am welcome to. A few have joked about splitting any gold we find, but that is about it. Sometimes I bring a bag of buffalo nickels I found at planted hunts and I offer the hesitant ones one of them for the chance to hunt their yards. In all of the about 200 or so houses I have knocked at, only two were rude - one telling me to "**** off" and one slamming the door in my face and then yelling at me from behind it. I can put up with 1% rude and 10-15% "No's" for all the goodies I have found.

Tell yourself a joke as you knock, have a big happy smile when they answer, Life is one big adventure, and if nothing else, you should have a funny story to tell about the people you meet! :rofl:
Mud

Could also help to have a contract or something granting you permission, making sure to leave a copy with the owner and keeping the signed copy. There should be versions of it on here. Make sure it has your contact info. Maybe make a sales pitch of helping them if they lose something. It's always a good thing to know someone with a detector. Also, personal items should be offered to be returned. A couple of guys, whom I've been trying to find, came and hunted a field here. They found a name tag from an old dog collar my great uncle used when he coon hunted and gave it to us. Could help your reputation in a community.

Pulltab,
I been detecting 27 years and I do beleive its getting harder to obtain permision.I see more Trespassing Signs up,more land getting developed,People watching the news and seeing other people getting robbed and shot just by answering the Door,Yes its just getting tougher.But on a Happier note there still are some good people out there will let you hunt their property.First off calling on the Phone is a No, No. to easy for them to say no.Best to catch them outside if you can and start up a conversation first and then pop the question,there is alot ways you can go about this.Looks Like alot of the guys gave some good points on this subject.Just don't get discouraged,when Mr. Smith says No,Just go across the street and ask Mr. Jones,thats the way I do it..
Good Hunting
Rick in KY

I was hesitant to ask but I drove into the driveway of a farm house 2 weeks ago. The owner bent over backwards to help me. He even took me into the woods and showed me a cellar hole. Went there 3 days, found only 3 large pennies and a IH penny in the cornfields. Glad I knocked on his door, owner was terrific.

Hey, one other thing i have used, once i know who the owner is..... is facebook