Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Permission To MD On Private or Historic Site

Lenmcgold

I am interested to hear some comments from those of us who have asked permission to MD/Dig on private property. The other is on state or national historic sites. I have done both with mixed results. A Japanese Internment Camp, as it was called during WWII informed me that was not possible, however invited me to join their organization to help with the archaeological digs they do once a year. Have had some success with state parks, although seems each one is different on this topic even in the same state.
Regarding old homesteads and farmsteads - seems they are all over the West. Is approaching one that is occupied a good idea? Why not? If property is abandoned, how about some research and send a letter to the owner? A printed copy of The Ethics of Metal Detecting could be included.
Any thoughts/comments on this would be appreciated and interesting to many of us I believe. I live in an area out West with many of these types of places, which is intriguing.
Thanks, Len Mc

When you say "state or national historic sites", can you be more specific ? This is a sort of "loaded term". Because it immediately conjurs up some sort of sensitive sacred monument (with a plaque right there, etc....). So OF COURSE the answer is going to be "no", if that were the case. Ie.: Bodie, Shiloh, Ghettysburg, and active archie digs, etc..... :rolleyes:

But you also have to bear in mind, that it is not true that all state and/or all national lands are "off-limits". That is not true either. And when you say "historic", this is a loaded term. Because, gee, there's lot of "non-historically themed" state or federal land, that you might find a barber or seated dime, for instance. Hmmm, ok, does that mean it's now "historic"? (the find itself anyhow, as .... gasp .... over 50 yrs. old).

So you need to be a little more specific in your question, for that part of your question.

Hi Len Mc, My thoughts are that you have a pretty good idea already of the confusion the differing opinions and rulings "officials" add to the mix. The end result if at any time for you there are court appearances involved one thing you can count on is that it will not be pretty and you will wish you had not ventured into any agreement with any of the folks you agreed to agree with. Yeah , continued confusion but with plenty of regret now added. I suggest you stick(JOIN) with your local Arch. and Historical Society clubs, and make those digs that are of the low profile and local level. Over the years you will become more and better acquainted with those folks, make some great friends, and make some good finds with them, The really high profile sites do get hunted from time to time but I think only rarely and under very strict circumstances. I made such a hunt back in the 80's upon "invite" of some "Professionals" and it was very disappointing to myself and all the others in our group. I will only say that our group of "diggers" were the only ones of the lot that had done their homework and knew the true layout of the site we were to be searching. Fact is, us diggers soon realized that our "objective" was not to be found within the permitted location , but the overlays "we " provided clearly showed the target to be several hundred yards distant, and on another, private land owner's property. That speaks for the preparedness of those in charge of things, and put us diggers in an even lower state of consideration whenever we did make a find. It became a snatch and grab situation , where soon as we dug something, it was literally snatched from our grasp, and bagged. If we wanted to see what we had found we had to leave it in the baggy to examine it. If that is not BS, only other thing I could think to call it would be Professional BS! Those are my thoughts and my short experience with historic site digs. Won't happen to me again I can promise! I hope you have better experiences than I ! HH, Charlie

those folks mailed me a big fancy "Certificate of Recognition",,, with my name spelled incorrectly ! That Figured! Bless they hearts!

And just to clarify: I do not hesitate to hit ANY "historic" site. Even if there's plaques, etc..... A "yes" from anyone suffices for me. If even the little girl playing in the yard. Or a hired landscaper who doesn't speak English. Or simply "the guy who was here awhile ago in the white truck who was wearing blue jeans and a T-shirt said it was ok " works-for-me :)

Research helps and getting material related to the property is a plus when giving this to the property owner, Offer to give back all finds and when possible put together a nice display case.

Above all, Become an expert with what took place on the particular site most owners are hungry for information.

Good luck,
Paul (Ca)