Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Permission

boojababy

This building was a high school in the 50's, a middle school in the 80's & a gym/senior dining center now, who would I ask to detect around here? The city or the people who own the building now?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528-190445_Earth.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528-190445_Earth.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 107
This building was a high school in the 50's, a middle school in the 80's & a gym/senior dining center now, who would I ask to detect around here? The city or the people who own the building now?
Is it part private / part govt ? You mention a gym which indicates someone most likely leases part of the building. The senior center indicates the town or city operates it. If this indeed is the case, I’m with SL52, take out your detector and start detecting.

Is it part private / part govt ? You mention a gym which indicates someone most likely leases part of the building. The senior center indicates the town or city operates it. If this indeed is the case, I’m with SL52, take out your detector and start detecting.
I'm not sure.

Are your city parks ok to detect? If so, I, personally, would hunt it early morning when no one or few were around. Like Sat or Sun morning. If detecting isn't banned in your local, by asking permission of someone, that someone probably won't know and simply answer "no, I'm pretty sure detecting isn't allowed on these grounds." If it is city owned and detecting isn't banned, keep a low profile and hunt it. If it is now privately owned, then permission would be needed. Just carefully learn which! HH jim tn

Looks like a great site… personally I would go in and start detecting like others mentioned and do it early in the morning or late evening.
Not sure what we you are at, but I think I would wait until fall/ winter when the grass is down.
Just be sure to dig carefully and try to not leave any visual of where you have dug… At least if someone approaches you, they can’t accuse you of making a mess.

I think the site of a shovel will freak people out more.
I only use a lesche tool and it looks harmless in comparison. Kind of like having a handyman show up to fix some loose siding one shows up with a hammer another with a sledgehammer or a dr holding a 25 gauge needle vs a 14 gauge lol

Looks like a great site… personally I would go in and start detecting like others mentioned and do it early in the morning or late evening.
Not sure what we you are at, but I think I would wait until fall/ winter when the grass is down.
Just be sure to dig carefully and try to not leave any visual of where you have dug… At least if someone approaches you, they can’t accuse you of making a mess.
I am always careful to leave an area like it was never dug...except in my backyard.

How much ground is there around the building and do the building owners own it all? For sure, I would stay away from the building until I got a feel for the situation. Good luck! HH jim tn

When I hunt older schools (that aren't posted) I'll head straight to the back side. Like Jim mentioned staying away from the building. And as others mention don't take a shovel . Nice clean small plugs.... hhricknmi

I performed a quick search and that old school building was purchased by a real estate company and turned into private apartments for seniors. If you plan on moving forward with hunting it, you’ll need to inquire within. Best of luck 🤞

I performed a quick search and that old school building was purchased by a real estate company and turned into private apartments for seniors. If you plan on moving forward with hunting it, you’ll need to inquire within. Best of luck 🤞
Jimmy what kind of real estate company? Like a big national corporation or small mom and pop.
A big corporation is just going to have someone answering the phones that will most likely just deny or the message will get lost in the non important paperwork. Better off at that point just informing one of the seniors there what you are doing and they will probably be oblivious to what you are doing anyway lol. Not like you are going to do a major months long project. Inform, and hunt,you can be done and out of there in couple hours before anyone even notices. No different than other commercial properties like shopping centers nobody there really going to care as long as you keep it discrete, neat, and mindful. Not their property and unless you get a Karen should be fine.
A small hands on company constantly monitoring everything is more complicated

I would enquire within and just tell them right off you metal detect for a hobby and would like to hunt some on the grounds as at one time it was an older school. Say, "in fact, if some of your residents would like a demonstration on how a detector works, I'll show them as I hunt." See what happens. HH jim tn

It's a senior place on one side and a gym on the other