Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Perplexing Park

I've been hunting in a park I know to be over 100 years old. I've been using Bryce's settings from Andy Sabich's book, and swinging the SE Pro really slow. I have found a ton of clad from the 70s, 80s and 90s, but nothing older. I'm finding most of the coins at 6-8 inches deep. My question is that based on the depth I'm finding more recent coins, has most of the older stuff sunk to a level beyond where it can be detected? I don't know whether or not there has been any hunting in this park before, but the amount of clad I'm easily able to find suggests there hasn't been. Thoughts?

Look for the odd signal. The 13-28 or 15-29 that only hits one way. I would bet that this park being that old has a lot of trash in it so your numbers may be a bit off anyway. This week I had a 18-29 signal that I normally would not dig but it did not null out like many signals at that number would and it only hit well in one direction. I was shocked to dig up a 1943 Washington. Go super slow and dig anything, no matter the number that gives you a consistant signal.

have no old dirt to detect. The good old dirt is either covered up by fill dirt or bulldozed away. But often there will be an area or two where the original dirt is still accessible. If there are no wheaties or old relics or even old trash to tell you it's old dirt after digging hundreds of deep signals then chances are it's just newer ground.
JMHO
Neal

my thought is the same as yours .they keep going deeper every year until they hit something heaver than they are , hard pan. rock, root.if you can try working plowed fields near a park , or adjacent to areas where people were

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to hit the park again this weekend. If I don't find any thing older I'll stop searching it.

Also alot of newbee's with E-tracs pounding those Chicago parks to death. Would be better of to dig more lower conducter signals as they are cherry pickin' for silver to pump up there yearly totals.

If you are getting coins up to 8" deep, then you're not doing anything wrong. I'd say your park therefore, is just a lame park, that has soil that is the type that lends coins to end up vveeerrrryyy deep. I can think of some like that, where even frickin MEMORIALS are 8" deep. Then yes, presumably the wheaties and silver will be deeper still. You might have to find a different park that's not as moist, etc....