Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PI BOOM

lammi

My Sov. GT started falseing so I pulled Aqastar out of closet, Was using wot coil on sov. and the way i had Aquastar turned to work in waves thought that I was getting deep as with sov, , Now I tuned aquastar very hot for beach and very happy to be back with pi again, forgot how much fun it was and confidence level up 10 x
Wondering how many good targets i masked with wot coil after seeing ferrous trash on beach
Now to Boom, I had not used aquastar in 1.5 yrs so batt. was totally discharged, Had to charge 15 hrs, kept checking to be sure it did not get to hot.
After charge I took it outside and checked it out, Wanted to adjust the sat , when I popped clamps it really let out a loud bang, I thought for sure it damaged machine , case or ?
Never had this happen before, Lucky I found no damage and machine works great, I guess I will open clamps while machine is charging to keep pressure down, has anyone else had this happen ?
Set machine at full sen / sat 1/4 from lowest, 10 us, now going to beach to try o sat and see if machine stays stable
Found my old new favorate
Lammi

PS so far batt. seem fine , but may want to purchase new set
Mr. Bill ?? Thanks for getting me started again Mr Bill

Yes, charging rechargeable batteries will produce gas in a sealed case which is normal. I am still using batteries that are at least 5 years old with no failure yet. But then I use a volt meter to check to voltage on the batteries as I am charging them. Ones the battery voltage is at least 16,8 volts. You have charged the batteries enough. These batteries will over a period of being charged many times can increase to 17.3 volts. But then the front end circuits become to sensitive and will be unstable until the voltage of the battery pack lower to around 17 volts. Over heating the batteries is the worst thing that you can do to them. Love my Aquastars and I own three of them.

Back around 1980 I was making an underwater detector called the Aquapulse 2, which had internal nicad batteries. One customer put his on charge overnight and was very surprised in the morning to find just an empty case sitting on the bench. Looking up, he noticed a dent in the ceiling and on further investigation found the top panel and electronics cowering in the corner of his room. After that report, we built in a spring loaded safety valve into the top panel. With the Aquastar case the clamps are spring loaded and the panel will lift if the internal pressure gets too high. However, it is a good idea to release the clamps, particularly if the batteries have not been charged for some time, as there may be additional gassing.

Eric.

Thanks Eric and Terry
Love machine, I set the sat to its lowest settings for last two hunts and although a little noisey it is pretty stable and is running like a champ.
I have hunted Daytona for 18 yrs and its given me a new boost , Can't wait to get out again
Eric. It takes so long to charge Batt. Are you set to make a additional set ?
The one in machine are quite old as well , They are charging and holding fine so far
Thanks for a great machine
Lammi

Glad your back with a PI. I love mine and I actually find less trash and more gold then the guys using the M and F detectors. George K.