Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PI Discrimination by Ear?

cabochris

PI Guys- of the following machines, DetectorPro PI, PI PRO, Sand Shark, Impulse, Garrett PI... which one if any gives the best round sound/response/tone on ring type targets? Which gives the best ID/tone/sound response to trash. I would like to know because I'm wondering if a particular machine permits better target discrimination by ear? Then with some experience one might dig less trash when detecting time is limited- such as when on a vacation. I have briefly tried a few PIs and as an example the 2 loud tones of the Infinium sort of masks any discrimination by ear and the DP PI I used seemed to give a good smooth response to bobbie pins and just loved them! Any thoughts? I'm looking for the best travel pulse machine for the Caribbean. Thanks CC.

Tones I have found with my Garrett Infinium. This is a partial post from another question.....
Once I got my Infinium back I read posts where users did everything from turning the threshold all the way past max and back, to running the unit with the threshold at zero and a ton of other things. I decided to conduct my own test so I took my Infinium with the DD coil to my local beach dug two six inch deep holes in the dry sand tied a strings to a 14K ring and 10K ring buried each in a separate hole, ground balanced the machine set the threshold at 4 and listened (the 4 setting on my unit is just above silent) and I was able to run the discrimination at zero......as I increased the discrimination the obvious happened past 4 the unit began to give erratic signals and could not identify the rings . The below 4 the unit had no problem giving the HI/LO but as I decreased the threshold to zero the unit had a harder time identifying the rings and the tone seemed to give off echos. I then moved to wet sand and conducted the same experiment and had similar results but to get the unit relatively quite I had to move the discrimination to 1. That being said it still gave the HI/LO.... until the discrimination was turned past 4 the results were the same as the dry sand...I have never been able to get the unit really quite in the surf but it is better since the last trip in for repairs.
Here are some tones my machine makes on certain items: zinc pennies give an echo as the coil comes to the end of the swing. Bottle caps give a HI/LO but the LO tone seems drawn out or longer , bobby pins have there own distinct sound but can like gold HI/LO. Clad coins LO/HI. These sounds are what I have found on my unit it may or may not be that way for others.

- As a general rule....gold = Hi-Low signal, silver & copper = Low-Hi signal and iron reads both, so you need to utilize the iron check

- Use the reverse discrimination...If there is a change in tone, dig it. If there is no change in tone, it's usually iron

- Just searching for gold? Just dig Hi-Low signals

- Looking for silver and copper coins or rings? Just dig Low-Hi signals

- Bobby pins/ straight nails give a distinct double bleep, especially in certain directions over the targets.

- A long drawn out audio duration from going over a target means that it is a large target like a tin can.....just leave it!

- Gold rings tend to give a more softer sound (high-low) compared with bottle caps, which really like to scream at you due to all those extra eddies formed from the uneven ridges

- Increasing the thresh-hold gives you even more depth

- dig those targets giving an echo, as they can be two coins close to each other, a bi-metal coin, a large copper or silver coin or as I recently discovered, a ring made up of two different metals. In my case, it was a stainless steel ring with a gold band around it.

Chris, the Dual Field has great audio--almost like a VLF--nice narrow tone on good targets, and more drawn out on caps, and iron. It also has a nice faint range if you can learn to hear them. Only pulse I've seen with that much info is the 'Cuda.
cjc