Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PI Novice With Some Initial Questions

Tarot

Hi Everyone

I have searched through the PI Technology Forum, but have been unable to find the answers to my questions. I have many years of detecting experience, but this is my first venture into using a PI detector. The saltwater beach where I detect (Blackpool UK) has no dry sand areas, hence my reason for trying the PI detector.

I have purchased a cscope CS4PI which was originally designed by Eric Foster, but is produced and sold in the UK by cscope. It is quite a basic machine, but has a great price for a newcomer to this technology. So that's a little background and now for my observations and questions.

1. Threshold Stability

No matter what sensitivity or pulse rate combination I try, the threshold is very unstable. The only way that I can make the machine stable, is to run just below a threshold (silent operation).

2. Pulse Rate

The machine has a range of 1000 pps to 42000 pps, with recommended settings of 21000 pps to 42000 pps. I am finding that regardless of my beach location, a max setting of 42000 pps is the only reasonably reliable setting. Does this indicate a highly mineralised beach ?

3. Pinpointing

I find that the target response to small coin sized objects is very wide, and is making pinpointing difficult. I have tried various sweep speeds, but this seems to have no effect. The machine is a motion PI, but if I hold the coil over the target I get an almost continuous response.

4. Peripheral Detection

Obviously targets are detected below and above the coil (10.5" Polo), but the coil also detects laterally outwards from its edge. In fact it will pick up my digging spade from 12" away.

I apologise if these seem some very basic question, but I cant compare this alien (to me) technology with my VLF experience. I am hoping that some of you more experienced PI users (CS4PI or Other), can give me some advice on my initial observations and questions.

Its probably user error or incorrect settings, but could be beach conditions - normal PI operation or equipment failure. I would really appreciate your response.

Kind Regards Tarot (Bob)

The basic unit was designed by Eric some time ago. CScope re-designed this unit using a microprocessor to control it. I had one & it certainly didn't perform like Eric's did.

With that said, it's possible that there may be a problem with yours. Could be a bum coil ?? I would send it in to CScope, and have them check it over.

Mr. Bill

Thanks for your reply Bill, I am waiting for a response from cscope.

Regards Tarot (Bob)