Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pick Axe For Frozen Ground ???

Rick73

Looking for suggestions for digging frozen ground. I hunt farm fields mainly. We recently had a cold spell when a new record was set at below zero for 78 hours straight. Some of that was close to -30 degrees. There is no snow on the ground but it is rock hard. We do get above freezing often so I can go detecting. I am checking to see what people are using for picks. I see Apex makes several picks. Will the hickory handles hold up. Thanks.

I want to get out and do some hunting but I don't think it worth going after it with a pick axe. The handles hold up when using them on rock, so I would say they would do okay on frozen ground.

Ron in WV

Farmers fields when frozen are like concrete. Unless the frost line is above 3", a pick ax doesn't really work that well. However, if you can hunt anywhere in the woods, the ground is usually diggable.

They have real govt surplus items from around the world (skip the Chinese knockoffs that do well if they last 10 minutes) and they do not charge an arm and leg for them.

Picks don’t work either. I’ve tried it with a 2.5 lb pick and it just throws little chips of frozen soil all over the place. It’s a lot more difficult than you’d think. All our woods are frozen SOLID also,leaves or not. Sorry...

You may want to start preparing yourself for the possibility of some incoming cabin fever :sadwalk: I know the feeling.

vlad said:
They have real govt surplus items from around the world (skip the Chinese knockoffs that do well if they last 10 minutes) and they do not charge an arm and leg for them.

They have a Swiss army pick for around 20.00 that I use in AZ and it really works.

What do you think, the waters a chill 70's? :smoke:
(you can rent wet or dry suits there)

Years ago, I used to use a hole saw on a cordless drill. This worked great, opened up the ground and gave easy access to targets. A little extreme, but it sure can cure your itch in these severe temps