Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Picking the right metal detector

waterjunkie

Hi All, I'm a NEWBIE, I have been looking around for the right metal detector for my needs and I hope you can help. I live in South Florida and most of my hunting will be in water, up to 100ft deep and sand. But, I don't want to limit it to just water. I'd like to be able to hunt on land too. I have looked and looked and looked and came across the Garrett Infinium LS. I've read all the spec's and user reviews and believe this maybe the model I'm seeking, but, since I'm new, I'm not sure if I'm getting in over my head. I have read of other peoples frustration as a first detector. I don't want something too sophisticated that I will become frustrated and feel like I bit off more than I can chew or want to undertake. If you hunt in do the same things I am looking to do, can you give me your constructive comments and/or suggestions and your experiences?

Thanks

Hi waterjunkie,
I am detecting only for about three years now. As I am living in Antigua, most of my detecting is happened on the beach and in the water. I am detecting with Garrett Infinium and Excalibur 1000.
For summer time when the sea is calm and steady, I would kindly suggest using an Excalibur 1000 made by Minelab.
It is a VLF detector with a good discrimination (less bear caps and pull ring to dig). This is one of the most popular water detectors. On the other hand in the winter when the waves are higher and the sand is mix up with targets, the gold rings being heavy go dipper. Infinium LS is the right answer. Infinium LS as Excalibur 1000 are both top of the line detectors, excellent on dry land and underwater detecting.
Excalibur is based on broad band technology, 17 frequencies metal detector. Infinium LS
is an Advance Pulse Technology detector. It is deeper than Excalibur but les stabile.
The way to operate each of the above type of detector is totally different. On the other hand with both of detectors once read carefully the owner books, you will be able to find targets. Of course is a learning curve for each type. But that is the beauty of this hobby.
Using any of the above detectors if you

Hi CRS, thanks. I can afford only one at this time and from what I have been reading and the info I have been receiving from the forums here, I am leaning towards the LS. I appreciate your input all is very welcome.

Thanks Again

Waterjunkie
Stay wet