Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pin pointing the 10.5: Clarification

A

Anonymous

John, in about line 7 of my post on PP the 10.5 coil I said "you have to do this because you may have picked up the target at the back of the <span style="background-color:#ffff00;">target</span>". I should have said "you may have picked up the target at the back of the <span style="background-color:#ffff00;">coil</span>...". Sorry for the poor editing! Here's the corrected version that will make more sense, and a few other tips!
John, to pinpoint the 10.5 - push the PP button and move the coil back and forth over the "center" of the target based on sound. When you have this "center" of the target, drag the coil back toward you until you lose the PP sound. The reason you have to do this is because you may have picked up the target at the back of the coil so you have to drag the coil backwards until you lose the sound meaning you've put the target now under or in front of the coil. A good target will drop the sound very abruptly. Then move the coil just forward until you pick up the sound again - about 1-2". The target will be under the funny shaped opening in front of the rod mount. A little practice and this will come easy and automatic.
A tip or two that has helped me refine my hunting: (1) If I've moved the coil back more than approximately the diameter of the coil I try scanning again to be sure I still have a target. If not, I move on - it's junk. Dig a few to prove it to yourself - chaulk it up to "education". (2) If I get any high tone and even if the above "drag" test indicates junk, I move about 90 degrees and try again. Sometimes, not often but enough to make the effort worthwhile, those flaky signals resolve into beautiful abrupt double beeps (L to R and R to L and the 'drag' PP sound drop), and good targets are found. If not then it is truly junk. (3) Don't forget to switch to salt mode if the ground is wet. I recently started using this feature more (I had completely ignored it away from the beach)and I sense now that I'm getting surer, more 'confident' signals but can't really explain how often or why, but do seem to be finding more stuff. (4) To find more coins at public places like ballparks (this is extreme cherry pickin'): just look over the park for the areas that would have the heaviest foot traffic -from the concession windows to the stands, stands to the parking lots, along fences, etc. I hunt with a friend with an XLT and it's embarassing how often I wax him hunting modern clad just because I pick out the traffic 'lanes'. Sometimes it's just fun to cherry pick a modern ballpark for lots of clad!
I've found 100's of coins with these techniques and use the 10.5" almost exclusively. It's a lot of fun when you get the hang of it- just a little practice and you'll find lots of stuff - more than with the 8" in my humble opinion! These CZ's are real coin "sniffers" - with a 70Pro (I use) or 3D you've got the right equipment!
hh,flyguy