Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pin Pointing with the Minelab Safari

Confetrit

Sasquache, this post is for you and other veterans with the Minelab Safari. Yesterday I took the Safari on it's maiden voyage Relic hunt. While I found only 4 fired Minnie Balls, I was amazed at the depth in which these bullets were found. I believe I will like the Safari once I get used to it, but I ran into an issue with the pin pointing several times. The Safari more than once would hit on a target and give a VID no like a bullet. I would pin point the target and dig the plug. Once the plug was out I would run the coil over the plug and loose dirt. I could not get the Safari to repeat the signal, as if no target was present. I am hunting in Georgia where we have heavy mineralized soil but if it was reading the soil, it should have hit again on the soil once out of the hole. The few times it did this, I was unable to find a target of get the Safari to read the soil. Have you ever run into this, or was this simply operator error?

Hello confetrit I think this has happened too me a few times and i think it is due to ground mineralization (little pockets) or Big deep iron but what i do is i watch my target responce if it goes to iron you will Sometimes hear it at first then it is disced out but ive been reading the book on the Safari and quattro by Andy Sabischand they recomend a ground balance every half hour in tough ground i do it every hour or so up here in Maine it's tough soil minerals, iron ore and alot of old man made iron from farming. So my suggestion is to check your sensitivity level in manual becouse if it's too high for your ground it will false, re ground balance every hour or less and watch for iron bounce and i recommend you getting Andys book every time i open it i get more info. Hope this help's my friend.

Thanks for your response Sasquache. This happened only a few times and I did as you suggested in cutting back the sensitivity a little and I would occasionally re ground balance the Safari. The areas we hunt are hilly and are heavy with ground mineralization. I Thank you for your time and input. The Safari with the 11' coil and the Whites MXT with the 10' D2 coil are very close in weight to one another. I think I'm going to be a big fan of the Safari once I learn it. Thanks again my friend and he safe and HH. I meant to add that my favorite Union General was from Maine. (Can I say that?) Lol Gen.Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain from the 20TH Maine and Hero at Little Round Top at the Battle of Gettysburg was a very colorful figure indeed. My brother and I visited Gettysburg back in 2012. On top of Little Round Top I found the position where Gen. Chamberlain and the 20TH Maine were placed behind a small stone wall. I found a small rock located on the ground just in front of their position. This small rock is in my display in front of a pic. of Little Round Top taken by Matthew Brady just after the battle. The stories this rock could tell of soldiers struggles and a pivotal time in our Nations History if it could only speak.

Your welcome my friend yes Maine history related too the civil war is amazing. Happy hunting.

Confetrit said:
Sasquache, this post is for you and other veterans with the Minelab Safari. Yesterday I took the Safari on it's maiden voyage Relic hunt. While I found only 4 fired Minnie Balls, I was amazed at the depth in which these bullets were found. I believe I will like the Safari once I get used to it, but I ran into an issue with the pin pointing several times. The Safari more than once would hit on a target and give a VID no like a bullet. I would pin point the target and dig the plug. Once the plug was out I would run the coil over the plug and loose dirt. I could not get the Safari to repeat the signal, as if no target was present. I am hunting in Georgia where we have heavy mineralized soil but if it was reading the soil, it should have hit again on the soil once out of the hole. The few times it did this, I was unable to find a target of get the Safari to read the soil. Have you ever run into this, or was this simply operator error?

When you select pinpoint lift coil several inches above the ground, wait a few seconds before rescanning the target. Let me know if that improves things or not.

Confetrit said:
Thanks for your response Sasquache. This happened only a few times and I did as you suggested in cutting back the sensitivity a little and I would occasionally re ground balance the Safari. The areas we hunt are hilly and are heavy with ground mineralization. I Thank you for your time and input. The Safari with the 11' coil and the Whites MXT with the 10' D2 coil are very close in weight to one another. I think I'm going to be a big fan of the Safari once I learn it. Thanks again my friend and he safe and HH. I meant to add that my favorite Union General was from Maine. (Can I say that?) Lol Gen.Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain from the 20TH Maine and Hero at Little Round Top at the Battle of Gettysburg was a very colorful figure indeed. My brother and I visited Gettysburg back in 2012. On top of Little Round Top I found the position where Gen. Chamberlain and the 20TH Maine were placed behind a small stone wall. I found a small rock located on the ground just in front of their position. This small rock is in my display in front of a pic. of Little Round Top taken by Matthew Brady just after the battle. The stories this rock could tell of soldiers struggles and a pivotal time in our Nations History if it could only speak.

I did a little detecting last week in Illinois (visiting family) and got a ghost signal myself. It leaves you wondering where the heck the target went?! I also agree with the random iron/pockets answer as well. Soils come in all different combinations throughout the States (and the world)! and we just have to accept that once in awhile, the detector will tell you "something is down there so dig it you want but don't blame me if you can't find it and for letting you know there is 'something' but I can't tell you for sure what it is" unquote!!lol
One of my son's got married by the side of Fort Preble in Maine a few years ago. What an historic place and yes, I also wonder what objects and locations could tell us if they could speak! Many years ago, I visited a Roman fort site near Hadrian's wall (near the Scotland England/border) I just happened to come across an ivory Roman gaming counter (I did the research) in the dirt there and have wondered many times the stories that little object could tell!!

Goldstrike, I agree with both you and Sasquache on the different soil types and heavy mineralized soils. That is what I chalked it up to. It only happened a time of two, so I cut back a little on the sensitivity and I believe that corrected the problem. I have been down with something since Sunday night. I believe it may be Montezuma's Revenge from our local Mexican restaurant. I hope to get out soon before it gets too hot down here. That was some story and find of the Roman Ivory game piece. That is a True Historical find. Congrats. That would be hard to top.:usaflag::csflag::thumbup: