Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpoint location On Edge Coins

5900_XL-1

I noticed something today. I have a silver half dollar jammed into moist ground, you can see the edge peeking out. I detect it ok but am finding that when in pinpoint mode, the coin does not center on the coil, it detects on the edges of the coil. It is the same when using the 11" and 6" coils. This possibly is the reason I have dug larger holes to get to the target. By knowing what to look for, I may begin using only the active discrimination, using the X method and 90 degree turn. Actually, a full 90 degree re-orientation usually nulls out the detection, so it will take some fudging, even in discrimination.

It can really enlarge a dig with the 11" coil, being that the pinpoint tone hits on the coil edges, not at all in the center. I don't stress over edge coins, but thought it was worth a post.

To add though, I tested with another manufacturer's machine, and the pinpoint issue was the same. Just part of the way detectors work maybe.

Coins on edge can have a person digging larger holes than they want to. There are a few Videos on u tube about the subject. Taking time to get it right can save you aggravation.

Have you tried hovering the coil as far off the ground as you can in proximity to where you think the target is, then circle around till you find the weakest point where the PP tone cuts off?

That technique helps me when I have two close targets and I'm trying to find the one the VDI is telling me is the good target. It also helps identify Shallow can tops, from deep coins in old picnic areas.