Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pinpoint ??

grumpy

Evening friends, I have been considering getting a tesoro an have a couple questions if someone will help. I have detected about 12 yr now an never used a tesoro, I have had garrett, minelab, fisher an so on but not tesoro
FIRST it appears to me they have no pinpoint??? all I have used had a button or lever to turn on pinpoint, I see no such feature??? Im assuming it is the old fashion criss cross the signals??
Second for the metered machines are they fast as I have heard most tesoro machines are or slower like minelabs ?? I have hearing that makes a meter very helpful :)
Thanks for any help
Grumpy

Many do have a pinpoint, not that you really need it because they are laser like in their precision at crossing or Xing the target.
Yes they are super fast, and target separation and also the rapid recovery abilities are beyond good into the area of great.

The Deleon and Cortes are the only Target ID detectors in Tesoro's lineup.

My wife bought a Deleon for herself last year and I have used it more than she has:)

About the pinpoint, yes the Deleon has a pinpoint (all-metal) it is a fast auto tuned mode, unlike the 'normal' or no-motion pinpoint.

It has a three position toggle switch for battery test, all-metal and motion discriminate.

It also ID's and gives depth in inches in both modes, motion discriminate and all-metal.

It is a slow sweep speed motion discriminator that has a fast response and a quick recovery (real fast reset) that works well in trashy hunting conditions, it passes Monte's nail board performance test with ease.

It is a great detector if you have mild soil conditions, as the ground balance is pre-set at factory, In my mildly mineralized soil here in Kansas it works really well and deep too.

Well, according to which Tesoro your looking at.
My Tejon has a pinpoint, but I rarely us it! the Tesoro's like the Tejon are very slow motion detectors and it still amazes me at how well they pinpoint via a simple crisscross motion, it will give you a nice little tone in a VERY tight area in the center of the open frame coil, I'm also pretty new to the Tesoro family, My first was a Vaquero that I didn't keep long before I traded it for the Tejon. My brother had a Tejon before I ever even tried one out and I ask him about the pinpoint on it, he said lets go outside for a minute, he tossed a penny on the ground and turned it on and handed it to me and said here try it. I was amazed then and I'm still amazed to this day.

But! it does have a pinpoint mode but its not on the front panel, its figure toggle that you pull to pinpoint, but less than 9 out of 10 times I don't use it. The detector is slow enough in its motion that you don't have to SWING it over the target, just move it while your looking through the top of the coil and you can see its center at the same time you hear it BEEP. And bad hearing may be a plus with the Tesoro's they will BLAST your ears, many folks have some trouble with their volume.

The metered Tesoro's get a fair amount of complaints of their small meter with their lack of information.
But, Tesoro's claim to fame is,
in their simplicity of function,
Love for GOLD! ,
price, and
Service, and
their lifetime warranty, and
They are so light and easy to handle they at first almost don't seem real!

Also, all the Tesoro models that I'm familiar with Do Not have a "No Motion All Metal Pinpoint" even if they have a pinpoint mode, it requires some motion.

Mark

The only new Tesoro that has "No-Motion" all-metal pinpoint is the Oulaw, I've have been playing with one for a couple of weeks now. It is an impressive machine, I really like the no motion all-metal
with the Retune button you can shrink the size of the signal down to the size of a dime and the target is right in the middle of the coil where you can place your probe right on the target.

Check out thess picture of the Vaquero I had for a size comparison, (the Tejon is a tiny bit bigger)
When I first received the Vaquero my heart sank!!! I thought it was a toy and I was so disappointed I didn't even want to put a battery in it 'Really" LoL!

But after a couple of weeks of it setting in the corner I decided that it was mine and I finely got up the nerve to at lest try it out and to my amazement it was a very nice compact unit that worked very well.
I liked the features of the Tejon a little better and the depth of the Tejon was better without the down fall of super tuning, you can't super tune the Tejon.

Also, notice the Pinpoint button?

Mark

Any Tesoro that has an all metal toggle can be used to pinpoint in all metal. Just takes the slightest movement to respond. However, as others have described, most of the time you can do just fine with and Xing motion. I have a stable full of them and pinpointing is definitely NOT a problem.
BB

On all the Tesoros, It is inside what counts. These detectors will blow your mind for what they can do. You can learn them very fast and very good. The beeps are a little funny at first, but when you learn them beeps you will know if you have a good target or junk. It will tell you the truth. Even the little compadre is very popular. Almost every one has a compadre. It is very good on that very small gold. Even better than some of the high dollar detectors. If you like parks and tot lots, the compadre is the way to go. Not as deep as some of the other Tesoros, but it will surprise you. All the Tesoros are very good. Just depends on what you want to do and the type of hunting you want to do. A fun detector to use... KEN

Grumpy, if there is one thing Tesoro really excels at, it is target separation. They recover real fast and can all pass Monte's nail board test. It takes about 8 hours of use to really understand what the tone is telling you. Like Ken said, once you learn that tone you will know with high probability that the target is junk or good. I thought I needed the crutch of a display at first, was I mistaken. My land machine is a Silver uMax and I am on my fourth battery this season. Actually due to frost in the ground my season has officially ended. This gives me over a hundred hours on it. The Silver has no pin point, and if it did it would be a waste. It pin points spot on by X'ing over the target. My recovery plugs are only about 3-4" wide because it is so accurate. I don't want to brag, but I have learned my Silver well enough I consider myself an expert with it and believe I could give some higher dollar detectors a run for their money. With the Tesoro's sizing up a target is really easy. Once you X it and zero in you can size it up real easy with coil the centered over the target. If it is bigger than coin size, I pass. I dug my share of aluminum cans before I figured this one out. I take my 7 year old son with me and hunt without headphones when he is along. Even he can tell by listening to the tone when it is a good target or trash. If it is a poor tone after checking from two directions he can tell me it is trash, we move on until we get to that sweet tone.

Newbies have a problem in trashy areas at first. With me, my disc is just past pulltab. In a trashy area you will here lots of pops and clicks. These are items being partially discriminated out. I love it when I hear this because trashy areas are where coins have been left masked out. This is the area where a Tesoro really excels, separating trash from a good target. When you get to an area like this just slow down, overlap your swings and listen for a solid good tone amongst the pops and clicks. X over it to mark the spot and pop the coin out.

Dollar for dollar any Tesoro is hard to beat. They perform really well and very seldom break. It is no coincidence they have a cult following.

Well i have always preferred the true non motion pinpoint so called static mode -- really like this feature on my toltec 2 -- Years back i bought a Cortes and it has the auto tune so called non motion all metal mode --- which is not true -- the target would tune itself out if you stopped coil motion over the target -i consider the all metal mode worthless on my Cortes -just dislike it so much -cant stand this quick retune "beehive sound "------i like the true non motion -- i could estimate target size better . the Bandido 2 micro max had both all metal modes -- really dont know why Tesoro got rid of the Static pinpoint mode======= most other manfacturers have the static non motion mode

I can only guess Tesoro Engineers thought a Auto Tune All metal mode was better just needed to X the target for pinpointing --but really you can do that in the discriminate mode as well --

OK. I told my wife we were gonna just have to take the time to do a video on my "eyespot" pinpointing. I won a speed competition hunt using it-in fact, I finished so far ahead of everyone, I was in the third hunt field while everyone else was still hunting the first. It sounds like it takes a long time when you read how it's done, but in actual practice, after using it for a while, it takes about 2-3 normal sweeps to pinpoint.And the Tesoros are so fast they do the best.
Xing the target uses both the x axis and the y axis to pinpoint. I only use the normal sweep x axis. What happens with a motion detector with fast reset is the coin starts giving a signal while the coin is JUST entering the searchcoil field and with a fast reset machine PEAKS just as the coin nears the center of the coil. It just so happens with my Compadre to be the EXACT center of the searchcoil. By slowing down the sweep speed of OTHER detectors, it can be made to do the same. The main problem is if the target is too close to the searchcoil, you get too wide a signal , so the FIRST step is to raise the searchcoil and bring the coil on the next sweep higher above the approximate point of detection. You then FREEZE your eyes on the spot on the ground where the CENTER of the searchcoil was when you heard the beep. A couple of recheck sweeps should do it to confirm your spot. Putting some sort of decal or painting a spot on the center of the searchcoil really helps. How accurate? Just two days ago I located a target and thought I lost it. It was an eraser tip stuck thru the center of my screwdriver blade! How fast is it? In the competition hunt,, the huntmaster was sent over to make sure I hadn't cheated. Some of the contestants had started mumbling and for their sake he double checked.

rljehart said:
Well i have always preferred the true non motion pinpoint so called static mode -- really like this feature on my toltec 2 -- Years back i bought a Cortes and it has the auto tune so called non motion all metal mode --- which is not true -- the target would tune itself out if you stopped coil motion over the target -i consider the all metal mode worthless on my Cortes -just dislike it so much -cant stand this quick retune "beehive sound "------i like the true non motion -- i could estimate target size better . the Bandido 2 micro max had both all metal modes -- really dont know why Tesoro got rid of the Static pinpoint mode======= most other manfacturers have the static non motion mode

Hi Rick,
..The Outlaw has the static no-motion all-metal mode, they replaced the manual reset toggle of the Bandido ll µMax with a button. This RETUNE button has been a problem for many Outlaw users but after using it for awhile, it is not a problem for me. I don't even use it and rely on the 3 position mode switch.

I have a pinpoint toggle switch on my LST and a pinpoint button on my Diablo MicroMax which are still practically virgins to this day. Ha! Tesoro detectors themselves pinpoint "tight and accurate" really without the need of the toggle or button:thumbup:

I have a pinpoint on my outlaw, but hardly ever use it for anything but maybe tuning every once and a while. 95% of the time I never crisscross or x the target. I do hunt more with the concentric coils though. The 8 inch coil is very easy to pinpoint with and the 6 inch is a dream also. They are just fast on recovering. HH

I occasionally use the pinpoint on the Vaquero for targets that are difficult . . Ill turn the threshold way down and pinpoint exactly where its at . All those knobs and buttons come in handy .

Tesoro detectors are some of the easiest to pinpoint with with or without the pinpoint "button"
Think a lot has to do with the retune speed and the fact Tesoros come with concentric coils.
Pinpointing starts to become slower with the DD coil and if you don't know where the coils sweetspot is and
the fact a DD has a long narrow search pattern, pinpointing is different than a concentric. A few ways you can do it.
Concentric is excellent for treasure hunts for fast pinpointing, especially on a Tesoro.