Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointer choices?

BubbaJon

Now that I'm getting back into the hobby I noticed that most folks that make videos are using pinpointers.
Looks like a better solution than jamming the detector down an oversized hole or waving clumps in front of the coil.
I just bought a Garrett AT Max so it has the wireless but zowie that AT pinpointer is pricey!
A local Craigslist has a Propointer II for a reasonable price. Then other manufacturers make pinpointers - even some Chinese clones on Amazon.
So question is what pinpointer do y'all recommend that works well and is cheap enough to not strain my budget after the AT Max purchase?

I know the Garrett AT Z-Link Pro pointer is about $140. But you can hear the pinpointer through your wireless headphones. Call around to some of the sponsors on this forum for a better deal on one. I think the AT Propointer is one of the best ones. Good luck with which ever one you get. HH, GS

Found a NIB Garrett ProPointer II from a local detector club member for $50.
It'd be nice to have the wireless and someday I likely will, but pretty hard to sneer at almost 60% price break.

You are right, there are a lot of pin-pointers out there, at various prices too. You get what you pay for. The low end cheapies work under ideal conditions. However, add some cold temperatures, some rain, mineralzation or salt, and they will fail to some degree. If they break, you pay almost as much to ship them as you do to purchase them. Garrett pin-pointers work great! They are also produced in Texas and that's where they go to for repair. They were designed to work with the various frequencies Garrett detectors were designed to operate at. Some (other then Garrett) pin-pointers will give your detector some EMI when they are used, not too pleasant when wearing headphones. And.......beware of Chinese knock offs. If a Garrett pin-pointer is selling for a substantial less amount then the MSRP, it's probably a fake. Which one to get? If $$$ is an issue, get the one you can afford. Below is a video on some tricks about Garrett pin-pointers

https://youtu.be/Txw-S8tNQUY

My first pointer was a Garrett. After years it still works. I have about 3 different makes but I seem to go back to Garrett. Probably because I started off with one and got used to it. The others also work well. US made.

always used the garrett pinpointer and it has never let me down. The garrett carrot is great for water hunts.