Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointer Makes Simplex Go Crazy

pine3874

Being that most pinpointers and the Simplex operate at 12 kHz, when the pinpointer is turned on the Simplex goes crazy from the interference. By switching the Simplex frequency from F2 to F1 or F3 it can help somewhat, but it is still very irritating. Looks like the only solution at the moment is to find a pinpointer that works at a different frequency, but I'm not aware of any that do. If you've found a pinpointer that doesn't interfere with the Simplex, please let us know. Will the Pulse Dive Pinpointer pair with the Simplex? Thanks

im getting the same problem, but i havent tried to adjust freq on my nokta pinpointer yet. have to look up how to do that,

I tried one out, when you turned pinpointer on, it disengaged the detector or? And no issues.

Any other time I’ve tried using any pinpointer with any detectors other than Deus with Deus and simplex with pulsedive, they go crazy

Hope this helps

I want to buy Simplex after winter. My favorite pinpointer is White's bullseye TRX. It also works at 12 kHz. Should I expect any problems? Has anyone tried it?

I bought 5 Pinpointers in addition to my primary-use Makro Pointer in Oct. / Nov.to evaluate them all for:

#1.. EMI

#2.. Performance

I am keeping my XP MI-6 for use with my ORX.

I sold a black Garrett Pro Pointer.

I have a brand new orange Garrett Pro Pointer AT w/Z-Link capability and new Teknetics Tek-Point left to sell.

Staying on my gear belt is by Makro Pointer and my 'back-up' is the Nokta / Makro Pulse-Dive Pinpointer.

I used all pinpointers with every detector I use and a couple I've let go and when I set my Simplex + down, and have the pinpointers about 18" from the system box, and the coil positioned away from me and perhaps 3' from the Pinpointers, there is no EMI issue. I changed up my steps when I kneel down for target recovery. I am right-handed and have my cane in the left hand. Upon isolating the target, I kneel down on my left knee, lay my cane down, then 90% of the tim I reach over with my left hand and grab the detector rod closer to the hand-grip, take my right arm out of the arm-cup and strap, then set the detector on my left side. That has the search coil behind me and farther from where I'll be using the Pinpointer. Otherwise, I just set the detector down off to my right with the coil ahead of me and still facing away from where I use the Pinpointer. I also use the Pinpointer only with my right hand.

The Makro Pointer works at 11.[size=small]6[/size] kHz and, if I recall, the Pulse-Dive Pinpointer is about 3 kHz. I'd have to double check but my aging memory recalls that number.

Monte

use the TRX but got rid of it in January of '15 when I went to the Makro Pinpointer. It interfered with some units I used to use and I only bought two Garrett's and a Tek-Point and Pulse-Dime pinpointers. I have the MI-6 because it pairs with my XP ORX.

Best suggestion is grab your TRX and find someone with a Simplex + and give it a try.

Monte

jtalley007 said:
I tried one out, when you turned pinpointer on, it disengaged the detector or? And no issues.

Any other time I’ve tried using any pinpointer with any detectors other than Deus with Deus and simplex with pulsedive, they go crazy

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply.
If I understand your reply correctly, it's possible to pair both the Simplex and the PulseDive to the green wireless headphones and when the PulseDive is turned on the coil on the Simplex will go silent until the PulseDive is turned off similar to how the Deus and MI-6 work. Is this correct?

pine3874 said:
Being that most pinpointers and the Simplex operate at 12 kHz, when the pinpointer is turned on the Simplex goes crazy from the interference. By switching the Simplex frequency from F2 to F1 or F3 it can help somewhat, but it is still very irritating. Looks like the only solution at the moment is to find a pinpointer that works at a different frequency, but I'm not aware of any that do. If you've found a pinpointer that doesn't interfere with the Simplex, please let us know. Will the Pulse Dive Pinpointer pair with the Simplex? Thanks

Fishers F Pointer have 16 levels of frequency off-set.

I’m using a Quest pinpointer. When I go down on one knee to dig, I set the Simplex down on my right side. I then dig & use the pinpointer. I noticed interference if I set the pinpointer down on my right side adjacent to my Simplex. Not to bad but a slight buzzing in my ear. If I set my pinpointer down on my left side, I didn’t really notice the interference. Next time out I will see how close I can get my pinpointer to the Simplex before the interference starts...

My Garrett pointers go crazy. If it wasn't for the vibration I could not use them. I'll try other pointers I have --today. If any are better I'll post it.

Get you the Nokta Makro PulseDive. It will not interfere at all if you pair it with either the Blue or the Green headphones. If you use the Simplex+ without headphones and the PulseDive interferes, then you can do a frequency shift on the PulseDive and make the Simplex+ as quiet as a mouse. There is 40 levels of frequency shift on the PulseDive. Look on page 10 of the manual (you can download the manual from Nokta Makro).

That’s a great tip James! ^^. I have been looking for a new pointer to go with the simplex but was concerned about all the comments about Pinpointer problems.

Yes, same problem pine3874! I too use a TRX pointer and Simplex+ with green headphones. The first several hunts was not bad on the interference but the last couple times out it's been much worst! I have to mark my spot to dig and set Simplex 3,4 or 5' away to dig and use the TRX. Now, we have had snow and rain making the ground damp to 12-15" down. I wouldn't think the ground wetness would make a difference! I'm not sure. Any way after reading the post here it looks like a PulseDive in the near future!

pine3874 said:
Just ordered a PulseDive pinpointer. Will report back when I receive it and try it out with the Simplex.

The PulseDive works great with the Simplex+. It may cause interference out of the box, but if it does, just adjust the frequency shift on the PulseDive and you can make it quiet as a mouse. Instructions are on pg 10 of the PulseDive manual.

Received my PulseDive pinpointer today and after pairing it with the green wireless headphones, the problem with interference between the pinpointer and Simplex+ is gone. When the Simplex and green headphones are on the sound comes through the headphones. When the pinpointer is turned on the detector goes silent and the pinpointer is heard though the headphones. A real game changer...at least for me! Thanks for all the replies.

so it looks like I'm out of luck using my Nokta pinpointer with the Simplex. There doesn't appear to be a way to adjust its frequency, so that means i have to adjust the Simplex freq to F1 or F3, which strangely enough they caution/warn you against doing. I suppose 11.6 and 12 Khz are too close. right now i'm running on F2, then switching to F1 to pinpoint, then reverse order to continue hunting. in a field that not might matter, but at a school/park, its a pain and cuts down on targets dug.