Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pinpointer on the legand

Depth indication is only marginally accurate but have never had an issue with location. I wasn't aware there was a problem unless you are referring to the handheld one.

did any of the updates fix the pinpointer problem?
Jimmy I bought a new version that came with 1.11 on it. I run the LG24 coil and it pinpoints under the sweet spot every time. I think some may mistake pinpointing accuracy when the machine, just about any of them, is falsing off the tip of a rusty nail or bolt. In which case its most likely pointing off the edge of the coil . Perfect example, doing a wiggleback you turn 90 degrees and the signal is gone, only to pick it back up a few to 6 or 8 inches to side of your original swing. Then do the same with pinpoint. I may not be a wiz at this stuff but one thing I have learned is a good target doesn't move. Have you bought a Legend yet or you still on the fence ?

Last edited:
Jimmy I bought a new version that came with 1.11 on it. I run the LG24 coil and it pinpoints under the sweet spot every time. I think some may mistake pinpointing accuracy when the machine, just about any of them, is falsing off the tip of a rusty nail or bolt. In which case its most likely pointing off the edge of the coil . Perfect example, doing a wiggleback you turn 90 degrees and the signal is gone, only to pick it back up a few to 6 or 8 inches to side of your original swing. Then do the same with pinpoint. I may not be a wiz at this stuff but one thing I have learned is a good target doesn't move. Have you bought a Legend yet or you still on the fence ?
Hi Mark. the reason I asked Ive read where several people, some with a lot of experience metal detecting said the pinpointing was so bad they couldn't use the P.P. mode. but this was on the older legands before some of the latest updates came out. I watched a video where a man tried to pinpoint the target an couldn't do it. But I'm hearing good things about the machines that came directly to them with updates up to 1.11on it. however seems some have trouble with the 1.11 if they add this update themselves. I have a xp orx an bought a slightly used nox 700 from Richard Backwoods detector this last June. Now I'm Thinking about seeing if I can find someone that has a legand that would trade for my 700. Ive only used it about four times. I like it well enough, But I would only trade if The legand has the 1.11 update from Nota. H.H.

I did the 1.11 on my older Legend and I'm about as incompetent tech wise and as anyone could be and have had no issue whatsoever with pinpointing other than the previously mentioned lack of confidence in the depth readings. Seems my Legend has three depth indications , surface , 4 to 6" or , "do you really want to dig that in this hard dirt"? If you have heard rumors of issues with the Legend on Fakebook , you might consider the source and never forget that Minelab is suing Nokta and no one plays the media like Minelab.

Hi Mark. the reason I asked Ive read where several people, some with a lot of experience metal detecting said the pinpointing was so bad they couldn't use the P.P. mode. but this was on the older legands before some of the latest updates came out. I watched a video where a man tried to pinpoint the target an couldn't do it. But I'm hearing good things about the machines that came directly to them with updates up to 1.11on it. however seems some have trouble with the 1.11 if they add this update themselves. I have a xp orx an bought a slightly used nox 700 from Richard Backwoods detector this last June. Now I'm Thinking about seeing if I can find someone that has a legand that would trade for my 700. Ive only used it about four times. I like it well enough, But I would only trade if The legand has the 1.11 update from Nota. H.H.
The issues have been sorted out, but I will tell you it was not Nokta that sorted the issues out, yes there was some of us that had several issues after updating to 1.11, including myself

What the issues were was created by Nokta using out dated drivers with the update installer tool, the Drivers are Silicon Labs CP210x universal drivers for windows, the ones nokta was using was from 2018 those CP210x drivers were updated by Silicon Labs in June of 2023 just prior to the release of the 1.11 Nokta software engineers failed to update to the updated CP210x Drivers which were updated in june of 2023,once those of us updated the CP210x drivers our issues went away, it only took 5 months for me and some of the others that were having issues to figure out what the problem was, and it was mainly those of us that used windows 10 and 11 PCs

here is where the issue is windows is not even aware that those Silicon Labs CP210x drivers even exist until you connect a Legend to your PC and try to update, then the drivers will come up in your PC and there is a way to verify this information, by checking the drivers that are in your PC and then while in there connect a legend to your PC then and only then does the CP210x drivers show up

to Verify this go into the control panel of your PC, then click on Device Manager, scroll down to Ports (COM & LPT) double click on it and look at the drivers in your PC, while on that connect your Legend to your PC when it gives the alert that it has recognized your Legend now look at the drivers in Ports (COM & LPT) you will now see the CP210x drivers are now showing as one of the drivers available, but once you disconnect your Legend the CP210x drivers will disappear again, windows cannot update something that it is not aware is even there, again Nokta created the issues some of us had because of failure to update those drivers before releasing the 1.11 version, my two Legends are now back to performing like what I seen in 1.10 Beta Test Version 3

i will tell you you are lucky I am even giving this info after all the flack me and several others took over all these issues, being told it was user error and all in our heads, by a bunch of Jerks for over 5 months and yes you can say I am ticked off over an issue that was created by the manufacturer of the Legend which was Nokta, and yes they sat back on their heels and did absolutely nothing to try and help fix the issues that several of us was seeing, there was a group of us on Facebook that finally figured out what the issue was and again it dam sure was not Nokta

Why this did not affect everyone when they updated to 1.11 using a windows 10 or 11 PC is anyone's guess but it did not, the ones that used a Mac to update it never seemed to affect the update process using a Mac to update

if anyone is interested PM me and I will provide you with a video showing how to update the CP210x Universal drivers for windows, but I will not post that video up on any of the forums.

Oldkoot, I'm glad you were able to sort that out. I never had that problem, but I can empathize with those that did.
If Nokta would have just checked into it instead of just listening to the group that kept saying user error the issues would have been resolved a long time ago and there would have been no hard feelings from any of us that had issues but nokta choose to listen to people that kept saying there was no issues, well I will tell you those issues were very real and not made up by any of us that were having the issues, it is a very simple fix once we figured out what was causing the issues some of us were seeing, it is a fairly easy process to update those CP210x drivers but you have to do it a certain way or they will not update properly (talking about the CP210x Drivers), just merely going to Silicon Labs and getting the correct drivers is only a part of updating those particular drivers, again you have to update those drivers the correct way or it still does not help and trust me I found out the hard way by not following the correct steps to update the CP210x drivers, the issues some of us seen could have all been avoided had Nokta just updated them prior to releasing the 1.11 version, and that is the bottom line, had Nokta updated those Silicon Labs CP210x Drivers before releasing 1.11 i do not believe you would have ever read anything bad about the 1.11 version, The reason the 1.10 Beta Test Version 3 worked for me was because the CP210x drivers were up to date, but then 1.11 was released using the same CP210x drivers and because the CP210x divers had been updated by Silicon Labs in June of 2023 which was just prior to the release of 1.11, again why those out dated drivers did not affect everyone using a Windows 10 or 11 PC that's the strange part, if they did not actually affect the update process for you consider yourself very lucky and fortunate because they dam sure affected my two Legends performance big time, My two Legends went from seeing a clad Quarter at 14 inches deep to not seeing that same clad quarter even targets laying on the surface the coil had to almost be touching a target before either of my two Legends would even give a hint that there was even a target there after updating to 1.11, now since I have updated the CP210x drivers my Legends are back to what I was seeing in 1.10 Beta test version 3, so I am a happy camper in that regard but still upset that it took us that were seeing the issues having to figure out what the fix is, again Nokta never helped in finding the fix.

I did the 1.11 on my older Legend and I'm about as incompetent tech wise and as anyone could be and have had no issue whatsoever with pinpointing other than the previously mentioned lack of confidence in the depth readings. Seems my Legend has three depth indications , surface , 4 to 6" or , "do you really want to dig that in this hard dirt"? If you have heard rumors of issues with the Legend on Fakebook , you might consider the source and never forget that Minelab is suing Nokta and no one plays the media like Minelab.
I never get on facebook. not even signed up on it.

If Nokta would have just checked into it instead of just listening to the group that kept saying user error the issues would have been resolved a long time ago and there would have been no hard feelings from any of us that had issues but nokta choose to listen to people that kept saying there was no issues, well I will tell you those issues were very real and not made up by any of us that were having the issues, it is a very simple fix once we figured out what was causing the issues some of us were seeing, it is a fairly easy process to update those CP210x drivers but you have to do it a certain way or they will not update properly (talking about the CP210x Drivers), just merely going to Silicon Labs and getting the correct drivers is only a part of updating those particular drivers, again you have to update those drivers the correct way or it still does not help and trust me I found out the hard way by not following the correct steps to update the CP210x drivers, the issues some of us seen could have all been avoided had Nokta just updated them prior to releasing the 1.11 version, and that is the bottom line, had Nokta updated those Silicon Labs CP210x Drivers before releasing 1.11 i do not believe you would have ever read anything bad about the 1.11 version, The reason the 1.10 Beta Test Version 3 worked for me was because the CP210x drivers were up to date, but then 1.11 was released using the same CP210x drivers and because the CP210x divers had been updated by Silicon Labs in June of 2023 which was just prior to the release of 1.11, again why those out dated drivers did not affect everyone using a Windows 10 or 11 PC that's the strange part, if they did not actually affect the update process for you consider yourself very lucky and fortunate because they dam sure affected my two Legends performance big time, My two Legends went from seeing a clad Quarter at 14 inches deep to not seeing that same clad quarter even targets laying on the surface the coil had to almost be touching a target before either of my two Legends would even give a hint that there was even a target there after updating to 1.11, now since I have updated the CP210x drivers my Legends are back to what I was seeing in 1.10 Beta test version 3, so I am a happy camper in that regard but still upset that it took us that were seeing the issues having to figure out what the fix is, again Nokta never helped in finding the fix.
I can get on the fourms an that's about all. my old Pc wouldn't update the simplex I use to have. a women in our club brought her small pc to a meeting an updated it in about 10 minutes.

I can get on the fourms an that's about all. my old Pc wouldn't update the simplex I use to have. a women in our club brought her small pc to a meeting an updated it in about 10 minutes.
I dread having to update when boost mode is released. I will wait to see what its all about because as if right now I have no gripes how the Legend performs. Good luck in the new year sir.

The one minor pinpoint issue I noticed was sometimes when the bars were all filled up, and that should indicate you are directly over it, I found I was on the edge of the plug. I read here to move the coil slightly until highest audio pitch is heard. Im now more than not finding the target in the plug rather than the side. Also, as far as the depth gauge goes, if showing 3 bars then I can usually use the carrot to find it (I run it on medium sensitivity).

The one minor pinpoint issue I noticed was sometimes when the bars were all filled up, and that should indicate you are directly over it, I found I was on the edge of the plug. I read here to move the coil slightly until highest audio pitch is heard. Im now more than not finding the target in the plug rather than the side. Also, as far as the depth gauge goes, if showing 3 bars then I can usually use the carrot to find it (I run it on medium sensitivity).
I do not even use the pin point feature at all, what I do is sweep over the target and where I get the loudest tone I will stop, that is usually just ahead of the stem the while over the target I will back my coil up until the tone goes away then move the coil back slightly forward and the target is generally rite at the front edge of the coil, takes a little practice but it works

I do not even use the pin point feature at all, what I do is sweep over the target and where I get the loudest tone I will stop, that is usually just ahead of the stem the while over the target I will back my coil up until the tone goes away then move the coil back slightly forward and the target is generally rite at the front edge of the coil, takes a little practice but it works
That’s what I do as well , after a while with a lot of hours , you can pretty much hit on the target every time.