Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pinpointers

Buck

Do ya think there is this much difference in sensitivity between these two pinpointers??? The Garrett Pro-Pointer & The Detector Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK4ujXzGQmM

As you can see from my signature, I use the detector pro headphones with built in pinpointer. I can usually detect a coin to between 3" & 4" and I have detected one penny at between 5" and 6" with it. Most of the time I can pinpoint a target before starting to dig at all. This allows me to dig very small plugs and by the volume and intensity of the tone I have a very good idea of how deep to dig. The only complaint I have is with the ear pads which are of non absorbent material and here in the south with temps in upper a 80's to mid 90's the phones tend to slip around on a sweaty head. I have to constantly wipe the pads and my head with a towel. If anyone knows of leather pads or maybe terrycloth covers that would fit the detector pro headphones I would appreciate hearing about it. From the demo it appears that the Pistol Probe is as sensitive as my pointer. The only other pointer I have used is the Automax Precision V4 which is awkward due to its length and basically will only detect a coin at about 1/4" to 3/8" which means you are usually touching the target in the hole if it goes off. It is totally useless in my opinion. So yes I believe there is a large difference in sensitivity of probes.

I got rid of my Garret pro pointer even though it is well made it had no more of an advantage than just digging an extra inch or so, I spent more time fiddling around with the pin pointer.

I have the Garrett and really like it. I can find shallow coins without digging. In a pile of red dirt it also helps to find the coin of the same color. I do believe it really helps me. It is very well made also.

I know th pistol probe is deeper. My 2 main concerns are these: The door to the dials looks like a flimsy design. I may be wrong but just IMHO. The other concern? Well is the shape of it. From a distance could be mistaken for a true pistol. I do not need the cops stopping me because sombody called in a gun toting person at the park. Again IMHO, Beale.

I think dlively has come up with the right answer. I believe one of the purposes of the pinpointer is to help you dig the smallest hole possible

I believe what pin-pointer you use is simply a matter of personal preference. Here in my neck of the woods most coins are found under 4 inches and the Garrett Pro-Pointer works just fine for that purpose. On the other hand if you have been doing some serious excavating to find your coins ( 6 or more inches ), then no doubt the Detector-Pro would be the way to go. In the end it still is just a matter of personal preference...

THANKS for all the help folks!!! I have decided I am going to hold off for a bit on gettin one. But I think I am leanin toward the Garrett ProPointer. (should make Uncle Willy happy)

OK, these little guys get hammered by folks thinking they're junk BUT-I've had great luck with the little Centech pointers! I do have a Garrett propointer, but after using it for awhile I realize I wasn't really undergunned with the Centech! Now it's certainly not as sturdy, not water resistant, and won't detect quite as far...but you can overcome some of those issues, and there's not THAT much difference in reach. I actually prefer the Centech sometimes-mostly for the momentary power switch! Not only that, the Garrett seems to 'wig out' every so often now that I use it with an Xterra. I didn't have that problem with the ACE, nor my Scorpion so I guess it's just interference. I'd recommend a Centech to anybody that didn't have a pointer (mentioning the shortcomings of course), and have done so. I do agree with the folks that say you can have TOO MUCH depth with a pointer! Now the DP unit would be great shaking down old houses...

I have never used the Detector Pro outfit, so I cannot make a fair assessment or comparison.

I DO use the Garrett PP and I really do like it. I was using a cheap Teknetics pinpointer, which did the job, but is NOT very sturdy.. had to duct tape the battery compartment door cuz it would pop off during use, and the dial knob always gets dirt in it. Plus it's not very weather friendly.

The Garrett is alot heavier, and much more sturdier. Takes some pretty good abuse! It responded differently that Teknetics version so it took me a bit to get used to it. However, with time and use, I am very comfortable with it.

Like a lot others have said, it is (to a degree) a matter of personal preference. I'm sure if I bought another pinpointer I would use it and learn it and eventually be happy with it!

Good luck!

I have the ProPointer and like it, but when the wind is blowing it is hard to hear. It would be nice if it vibrated as well as beeped.

An other thing I forgot to mention above about a sensitive pinpointer. If you are older and overweight like I am and you have several targets within a foot or so of each other it is possible to sort of remember where the 2nd & 3rd targets are and dig the first and use the pinpointer to find the other two. I have done this several times and my legs and knee's appreciate not having to get up and right back down again. If you think its too sensitive just turn the sensitivity down as its adjustable.