Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing Feature not in manual

Flbchbm

Just got a new Fors CoRe the other day and spent the day in the yard getting acquainted with it. Awesome detector and sure it will only get better as I learn its language. Anyway, I was watching a video on this detector and the gentleman on it was using the pinpointing feature of the detector and he mentioned he was going to reduce the sensitivity of the pinpointer but never explained what he did or how. But once he had done it he was able to get a much smaller pinpointing area to sound off, giving him a more precise pinpoint. Much like you can do with some of the handheld pinpointers, like the Garrett AT propointer. Anyway, I reread the user manual and even looked through most of the threads here and have seen no information on it, so here is a great tip from a complete noob to this detector:

When you have a signal that you want to pinpoint, start your pinpointing in the usual manner by pressing and holding the pinpointing button as you sweep the target. While you are still getting an audio signal, in other words, the coil is close enough to the target to give you an audio signal, let go of the pinpointing button and then immediately press and hold it again. The area around the target that will give you a signal will become smaller, and more precise. This can be repeated to further increase the precision of the audio but be careful because you can overdo it and blank out the target (no more audio signal). Not tragic, as you can just start the process over.

My yard is full of iron targets, many of them old and rusted, so they give big signals. Add to this my total lack of experience with dd coils, and location was a bit tedious. My last find of today was the back end of a shotgun shell that was dug at a measured 10 inches. It was surrounded by some big iron signals. This pinpointing process helped me precisely isolate and locate this target in a crowd of big iron signals in GEN mode, factory default settings. Didn't figure out the trick until about the last 30 minutes of hunting. Needless to say, can't wait to get back out tomorrow!

Hope this is helpful!

Nice to know but I have never had a issue with the pin pointing of the unit as it is without doing this trick. It gets right on top of the target and I don't think I could narrow it any closer. Plus, once I dig the Nokta pointer goes right to the target.

I would never say this would not be useful, just I have never had a issue with the Fors pin pointer on the detector in getting me within a few inches of the target. Glad you like the Fors, it is a great unit for sure.

I found it to save a lot of time when in a target-crowded area where the audio signals overlapped. I used it mainly in the GEN mode, which is the most sensitive of the four modes.

I played with this feature some more today, this time in DI3. I was able to pin point coin size objects to one square inch. Sure makes the plugs a lot smaller.

You know.....out of curiosity today since it has been the first time to run over hunted ground on my property that I have run ragged with the 11" coil I decided to see how the 5" coil would do. So two side notes here, first I found more coins that the 11" did not hit on surprisingly and I tried the more narrowed down pin pointing you stated in the post. It did get a tighter concentric circle but even without using it the system is dead on quite a bit. But you are right.......it will shrink that target location for sure. I think this will benefit folks to know. Thanks.

You are welcome. Once you get the hang of a dd coil it really isn't bad to figure out where the target is. This just makes it easier, and for someone who may not have the best hearing, it can make the process easier. Good for areas that are trashy, too.