Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing Question

dmitchstevens

If I have iron mask on, Will the pin point zero in on iron in the ground? The reason I ask is I watched an interesting video that used that as a tactic for deciding to dig or not. If you have an iron nail next to a gold ring and you get a iffy signal, by going to the pin point mode you can zero in on the ring and not the nail. I just thought this was agreat idea if it worked like this. Just needing some advice from the veterans

IF... yes IF you pinpoint properly. That means locate and center the target, raise the coil off the ground and then go down directly of the target you are trying to ID. A lot of time if its iron.... it wont pinpoint where you thought the target was. Also depends on how large the iron is, if you wiggle around a bit and it doesnt go straight to the upper left you might have something worth digging.

Dew

but I suppose we are all different. I guess it would also depend greatly on exactly how close on proximity the nail was to the target.

Also let me make clear before I say any more that I am speaking about a silver coin (higher conductor)...and not a gold ring. Digging lower conductors is a rarity. If my reference to your post about a gold ring next to iron and me speaking of a coin is irrelevant...then I apologize.

Many times I get a sweet high warble sound that I am about 50% sure is a coin...BUT when I go to pinpoint...the strong center point of the hit can get sucked several inches to as much as a foot away because iron is pulling it that way.

I then go back to the initial point where the warble is and wiggle the coil. If I still get that sweet sound...I then switch to the pinpoint mode on the SE which also ID's while pinpointing.

IF the cursor stays or flutters anywhere on the right side of where my iron mask is set at...then I will give the dig a shot.

I ignore where the center of the pinpoint is sucked to,,,and dig right where I did the "wiggle" of the coil at to get the sweet sound while in normal hunt mode.

I personally have never been able to "zero in" on the good target and not the iron when pinpointing...but that is just me. If others are able to do it...I'm happy for them.

I am personally able to use the pinpoint to help ID the possible good target next to iron...but as for zeroing in...no.