Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing Question

Brownie

Often times after hitting on a target using full sensitivity when I move the coil aside and start my pinpointing procedure I seem to lose the target. If I lower the sensitivity a notch or two I now can reaquire the target. Is this the correct way I should be doing this? Any reason on why this occurs?

That happened to me so I learned a new way to pinpoint the shake your coil method works really good for me and way faster .you can see guys doing it on youtube ,way better way to it to me.

What you have probably done was de-tuned the metal detector to the point of tuning out the target completely. Check out the video below on pinpointing with a DD coil......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-hqvdjRVxc&nohtml5=False

If you press the pinpoint button with the coil too close to the target, you will get no response. Move it aside first.
I don't care for the pinpoint function and prefer the "waggle" method. Move the coil back and forth in short strokes.
Rather than move the coil in two perpendicular directions, I like to circle around the target while waggling. If the signal
aren't duces as I turn, I move the coil backwards or forward to maximize the signal.
This method helps me keep the target firmly in mind and easier to find the exact dig location.

People make pinpointing a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Even the Garrett videos seem to step over a dollar to pick up a dime. Here is a video I made showing a quick simple method to quickly and accurately pinpoint like 99% of targets. There is a dime buried 3 to 4 inches beneath a plastic disk. Once you get the tone you are interested in , just do a few short quick swings side to side over that target as you slowly bring the coil back toward you. Right where the tone stops your target should be within a baseball or softball sized circle at the tip of the coil. I do the process three or four times in the video , you can see where the tone stops just as I get behind the plastic disk ( which is just there so you can see where the dime is buried ). With a little practice ,......maybe even without the practice ,....you should be pulling those targets out of the ground faster than you thought possible. It does get awkward sometimes when there are multiple targets close by , but its usually not hard to audibly isolate the target you are interested in. The process is pretty simple with the stock coil , even easier with the 5x8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeGMeRTLar8