Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing w/ Explorer 10" coil.

amustel

Hi!
I am a new user and really having a hard time pinpointing with the 10" coil. I can pinpoint pretty good with the 8" coil, however not much luck with the bigger coil. Can anyone tell me if, using the pinpointing function until I get the exact point of maximum sound, is the target suppose to be under the center of the coil or under the red M of the Minelab logo?

Thanks!

n/t

n/t

If you use your pinpoint.... locate your target and just wiggle the coil back toward you. When you hear the VCO tone disappear the target should be at the tip of your coil. Targets that are really deep will be just a little bit farther back on the tip of the coil just because of the footprint of the coil. You need to know that so you dont scarach a nice coin.

Dew

With my old Explorer it is right under the Minelab logo. Definitely learn to pinpoint so as not to have to dig coil size plugs.

Digging your plug or flap and making it larger is another debate. Some dig a plug and remove it others a flap. When you cut a small plug mowers tend to pull those out. I use a butcher knife and cut a pretty good size deep FLAP then flip it up with a garden trowel. That retains more of the root and soil, makes it heaver, keeps it attached, and is big enough to remove what ever dirt i need to without having to cut more on the sides. Its all about LEAVING NO FOOT PRINT as that slogan goes. With some of the great pinpoints that we now have once you cut a flap 4 inches or so deep in most cases the target is easily found. Save those little holes for the targets close to the surface you can easily find with the probe .... but still dig a plug deep enough to same the grass. Its starting to get warmer now and the ground will dry quickly, so the deeper the initial flap or plug the better for the root system. OK, im off the tree hugger soap box.

Dew