Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing with the 10-1/2" coil?

88junior

I am getting a 10-1/2" coil and was wondering where on the coil is the sweet spot for pinpointing accurately? Thanks in advance

No one has any answers to my question?

I used one for a short time before I got a FZ-12 that found a home on one of my CZ6A's for beach work. As I recall, the 10.5 inch coil pinpoints in the center.

Yes, the center.
Since the coil doesn't have a fully open center like the 8" does, it can be a little tricky to tell where the exact center is.

If you look at the 'x' created by the coil's support struts, you'll see they cross at a spot ahead of where the shaft connects.
You could always put a little sticker, or spot of paint there to help visualize 'center' while in the field.

As with any coil, the best pinpoint accuracy is obtained by getting best signal left-to-right then turning yourself 90 degrees to the target and going left-to-right again.
This eliminates any errors in pinpointing introduced by asymmetry of the coil, and minimizes user error.

To aid in this process, I will usually place the coil (lightly) on the ground after getting the strongest signal from the first left-right pass... move myself around (90deg, or 'at a right angle')...all while carefully rotating the coil (still touching the ground) on it's center axis.
That way, the next/final left-right pass gives me the most accurate x-ing possible.

Place the coil back on the ground (again at the strongest signal).
Mentally focus on the center of the coil...reach down and quickly place your finger at that spot on the ground after moving the coil away.

Some people (myself included) will sometimes use a golf tee, or something similar to mark the spot.
(Especially if the signal sounds deep.)

This help you keep your exact pinpoint location while putting down your detector, and retrieving your digger.

Most are surprised at how accurately you can pinpoint with a large coil using this technique.
In the days of screwdriver/probe retrieval, it was critical to pinpoint as accurately as possible.
Since the proliferation of the Lesche, we've gotten a little sloppy/lazy about pinpointing.

Thanks TVR and Trojdor. That's good info!

About a inch forward from where the rod attaches.
Its a great coil as loves deep silver on edge. It can get heavy at times but I mainly use it at sites I think I or others have cleaned out. It always pulls a deep keeper or two even behind the latest and greatest.

Dead center of the coil. I come at it from 90 degrees though. Lately I haven't been using the pinpoint feature. I circle the target to see if it iron so I know where the center is by doing that. Hope it helps friend.

I've used a 10.5" coil for years but I can't handle the weight any more.

Center. And remember it ratchets down. Meaning realeasing the pinpoint button and pushing it in again (not over target), holding it in, will make the sound shorter in length for more accuracy.