Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pirate detectors from Bulgaria?

Came across this brand, anybody have any info or experience?

http://piratedetectors.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2Ms9rbFpU

They seem to produce some fast recovery units;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08pcI2aIoX8

Never seen one being used,not saying that they are not good,but from pure observations have never heard or seen one in the UK,one must come too the conclusion they must be lacking in something other wise folks would use them,reviews on YouTube can be slightly manipulated by the manufactures or folks selling them,real life owners reviews are so much more honest.

Just my personal opinion of course,but then we start getting onto support and what goes wrong with them,i usually take all these things into account when buying a new detector,so i wont be buying one for sure.

Totally understand, however it got me all curious. Deeptechs and Golden Masks seem to have their following.

Didn't see a lot on them on the uk forums yet, but i start to see them being advertised (new units) on a couple of UK auction sites.

I went ahead and ordered an apolonia gold pro and a black devil pro, figured it was worth a shot and testing is part of the fun for me.

Will let you know how i go with them...

vincentvangerven@gmail.com said:
Alrighty, got them in! the black devil pro in black, the apolonia gold pro in Camo, and guess what, they actually do detect metal !!:cheers:

Lots of testing to follow, will keep you posted...

Good to hear as they have a nice look to them.
The biggest factor for guys over here who hunt coins and jewelry is the disc. range.
What kind of doomed the sales of the DeepTech units is disc to foil only setting.
As a beep and dig, compare them to Americas favorite beep and dig Tesoro.

First hunt results…

Spent a little over an hour in a recent park, founded somewhere in the 80’s here in California, so no old stuff. Working in tough gold country highly mineralized soil. Using killer B headphones, the model with the limiter switch and adjustable volume.

Took the Apolonia gold pro out for this test run, since I’m just more drawn to metered machines then analog models. I like to get all the input I can get I guess.

I only Air tested the Black Devil Pro and left it at that since a simple quick airtest with some clad and a gold ring were giving comparable depth and audio results, and so it seems to be a an analog version of the Apolonia gold pro.

I’m comparing these initial findings with my other detectors that I have and have had.(Silver Sabre 2, Cortes, Tejon, Lobo Super Track, F19, Minelab Explorer 2)

While I am typing this I am having a hard time putting all initial thoughts on paper, since I feel that this detector is similar to what I have seen in my other detectors, but at the same time this machine is a completely different animal.

This machine is really something else compared to what i have had before, but if anything it feels like a Tesoro on steroids!

Handles in a very similar way compared to the Tesoro brand, but it easily goes as deep as my Minelab Explorer 2 in this difficult soil. It actually might even go deeper, and it for sure is more sensitive to smaller items, even at depth.

At the same time it’s one heck of a high strung machine, where you do have to pay attention to what it tells you, since it speaks fast and often.

I have a bunch more thoughts, and things I want to explore further to see if what I think this machine is about holds true after a few more outings. I feel like with this machine it’s a bit like learning a new language that sounds similar to your native tongue, but isn’t quite the same.

But a few things that stood out from this first outing;

-swings great; no pain, no strain, unlike the Explorer 2 where something, either design, weight or both is/are messing with me. After an hour on the Explorer I already feel it in my shoulders and lower back, with this Apolonia model I still feel fine.

-It’s most likely deeper and definitely more sensitive to low conductors and tiny stuff compared to the Minelab Explorer2 (which I think is quite an accomplishment ) and this makes me look forward to do more testing.

-It’s super fast compared to the Minelab, I can swing it real quick and it still doesn’t seem to miss a thing.

-Forget about discrimination out larger pieces of foil and larger iron; anything bigger then a nail and this detector is begging to have you dig up whatever it is it found.

-The VDI system leaves a thing or 2 to be desired for the park hunting that I did today.
On the digital Apolonia Gold Pro the machine lumps all USA clad to the far right of the target indicator bar, and VDI numbers are all high and close together. Only foil and gold make the numbers go down to about mid level on bar and numbers (which makes sense) but anything from clad penny to copper penny, dime and quarter gets put to the far right of the target indicator bar, with numbers that are so close together that (at least till now) I can’t tell what’s most likely under the coil. The nickels seem to fall a little lower, in between foil and gold.
When targets get to be too deep, the vdi system draws a blank, and it’s audio only. It seems that this is not an easy thing to do, to create a detector that ID’s accurately and at depth.
I never had a Makro Racer 1 or 2, but read a good amount of reports where people experience something similar. Lumping targets together on the makro racer 1, and with the marko racer 2 the vdi system will throw in the towel before the detector stops giving an audio signal.
Have to say that for me (for visual ID), Minelabs system is about the best as I have seen so far.

All in all I am intrigued by this detector and I like to get to know it better. I will update more as I spend more time with the Apolonia Gold Pro.

The Black Devil Pro will probably be put up for sale soon. Why? Well, I have a Tesoro Tejon, so that's my analog Tesoro machine (got to have a tesoro, was my first brand when getting into detecting), I have the Pirate Apolonia Gold Pro for speed and depth even on small stuff, and I have the Minelab Explorer 2 for depth and accurate ID through multiple tones and its VDI system.

So with the Tejon, Apolonia and Explorer I feel I have my bases covered pretty good :)

Below the results of 1 hour of detecting, discrimination to max, will pick up some foil and larger iron, but also easily picks up the 'good' and small stuff.

2 small chain links, were gold plated at some point.

Another outing, another update...:)

Went to another park, with slighty different soil conditions (still far from easy soil, but further away from EMI ) to see if the detctor would behave differently. Decided to make it hard on the detector and go over a patch systematically, after I went over it real good with the Minelab explorer 2.

Walking over the same patch and walking the same lines, i was surprised at the amount of signals i still got with the Pirate Apolonia Gold Pro. After the Minelab was pretty much quiet, the Pirate talked up a storm...

Now, the Minelab is known to be a sucker for silver, but not so much for smaller, lower conductors like smaller gold rings and chains.. The Pirate Apolonia showed me that it has no problem with the lower conductors and small stuff. Below a pic of what it pulled out of the ground after my Minelab told me the patch was empty. (I know a plot of land is never really empty, but i was surprised at the amount of things i dug.)

Looks like just a bunch of trash and few pennies plus a nickel, but what this really tells me is that the detector sees the low conductors very well, and the more experienced detectorists know that pull tabs easily fall within the same conductivity range as the smaller gold jewelry. There was no gold jewelry in this patch, at least nothing witing detection range, but i think it's pretty impressive what the Pirate showed me here, and i mght have pulled some gold that the Minelab would have missed :)

One thing i noticed, and i have been emailing the manufacturer about this, is that the high mineralization content in the soil makes it hard for the detector to give a clear high tone and VDI on some non ferrous targets when running it in 2 tone mode.

I got a few mixed high/low tone signals, that i dug on, which resulted in diging some foil and some bottle caps. Pulltabs were all clear high tone, but sometimes the VDI was either higher or lower then I expcted them to be. So although the detecor does not seem to miss a thing, it seems the VDI was struggling a bit in that conductivity range combined with the mineralized soil.

The manufacturer was very interested in my feedback and told me they're constantly trying to make a great product even better, so i'm looking forward to what's next at Pirate Electronics..

More testing to be done here :twodetecting:

Iron next to a non-ferrous target will tend to pull down VDI numbers and audio towards iron. That can happen to many detectors also in mineralized soils.
Coil frequency can also add to the effect. Some detectors will upscale a target like that.

Pulltabs can vary all over the place with VDI numbers, more so depending upon how many ID numbers make up a target sector(s).

If you get a high tone and a low tone, some coinage on edge will produce that signal. If you have a nail may give a double beep, low tone. Put a gold ring next to it,
the double beep may now only be one beep, mixed low high tone. A target you might pass up. Something to check to see if it happens with the Pirate.

Good input Sven, thanks!

What you mention here; Iron next to a non-ferrous target will tend to pull down VDI numbers and audio towards iron.That can happen to many detectors also in mineralized soils.

This is a very good point, I noticed the effect the soil has on the detector (i'm detecting in some gnarly gold country heavy minderalized soil, here in Northern California.)

It seems to affect the audio, pulling the audio from for instance an air tested clear high tone coin to a bit of a mixed high / low tone once that same coin is burried in heavy minderalized soil. Got to stay alert here :)

I am now testing what setting works best for me in my hunting terrain. Single tone, 2 tone, where to set the Disc at etc. etc.
The manufacturer reccommended going to 1 tone with a disc setting at 5 or 6. Going to do that on my next outing.

I'm digging on a lot of different signals now to learn this machine, with that comes a good amount of digging trash, but also a few pleasant surprises. Interesting unit for sure :)

Hi Sven, lets see if this is what you mean when you wrote about putting a nail on the ground and Put a gold ring next to it, the double beep may now only be one beep, mixed low high tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlKBVJ85UI

Sounded pretty good.
Now try a actual steel nail and an iron nail and see what you get.
You'll get a better idea if iron pulls down the gold target ID number and if you get a low and a high tone or a blend of tones.
Kind of interesting to see how a detector responds. With some detectors, you have probably passed on digging some of those targets
thinking they were trash. And you felt good about passing up those targets, not digging trash. Then you find out you may have been passing up on a good valuable target.
lots of bench testing gives you a good clue before you hit the fields of trash and treasure.

Thanks Vincent for sharing your experience with both Pirate models, we appreciate you taking the time to share your testing.

I almost sprung for the Apolonia model, seen the video and it appeared to be pretty good especially for the price.

What caught my eye was the name Apolonia, that's a catchy name for a metal detector. I say this because Apolonia is a women's/girls name, beautiful name indeed.

Many know me as Paul, that is my birth name but my birth middle name. My birth first name is Apolonio, Apolonio is a male name. The letter O at the end end for men, The letter A at the end for female.

Came so close to purshasing the Apolonia, still may in the future. Maybe, Pirate will come out with an Apolonio model? That would be cool, many thanks for sharing.

Paul

Update;

Finally a day where it wasn't too darn hot to go out and detect here in Northern California, so i decided to take the Pirate Apolonia back out for another spin to my local park.

Below the results in the pics. It does like pulltabs, and some beer bottle caps do fool the machine once rusty enough, but by digging these i might have finally received my reward for doing so...

Not sure yet if the ring is the real deal or a 'cheapo', but hey, it's a ring, and its in 1 piece :yes:

apolonia2_zpsrqhahaao.jpg
[/URL]

apolonia2_zpsrqhahaao.jpg
[/URL]

apolonia4_zpsipxvoodm.jpg
[/URL]