Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PLATINUM or TIME RANGER ???????? which one

EARTHLINGX

i am thinking of getting either the time ranger or platinum... they are both the same price..... the platinum is all electronic but is it a lot like the whites spectrum XLT where you have to scroll through screen after screen after screen to get to where you want to set things up and then repeat??? Who has a time ranger with an UNBIASED opinion of how it works???? I was going to get something a lot more expensive but i now have 3 big bills to pay and i cant spend over 600.00 total on a detector....... the first detector i ever had was a bounty hunter back in the early 90's but i cant remember which one i had

I can answer your question about the platinum and its menu structure. It is not like the XLT at all. Pretty much all the features like Sens, Disc, Notch etc are all on the screen.

Below will be a pic of the Platinum when it is FIRST turned on

Next pic will be the # of tones screen

The last pic will show the Volume

Its very easy to set up to your liking. You press the left most menu button and the cursor will scroll from one option to the next. Once you get to the option you want to modify, simply press the right or left arrow.

If you want to switch between Disc and No Motion All Metal modes simply press the RIGHT most button.

Once in the All Metal mode, you can THEN do a GROUND GRAB to ground balance the Platinum over a clean section of soil.

I enjoy using the Platinum, I enjoyed the Time Ranger as well, however, if I had to pick one I like the best of the two, my personal choice would be the Platinum. Its very light, pretty darn effective and stable in the field. Runs on only one 9v battery too.

Both are fine units. Try to find a dealer and check em both out.

Tony

thank you....

is the coil water proof?

Is the sniff mode on the time ranger in the platinum also?

Yes, the coil is water proof. The Sniff feature is not on the Platinum.

As mentioned before, BOTH are fine units. I personally found myself always messing with the options and looking at the screen of the Time Ranger.

I dont find this to be the case at all on the Platinum.

Not sure of the accessory coil situation on the Platinum, we know there are several options for the TR.

There is also the new Fisher F5 which may be right in this price range too. Be sure to check all your options before making a choice.

I got my Time Ranger for $395.50 Amazon.com,Free Shipping. That would leave you with some $$ to get a few other things that youll need.Time Ranger has been around for awhile.Coarse the latest ones have the upgrades.

Hey Thompy,

from what I can tell, they last pretty darn long for one 9v cell. I have run one down to beyond the point of LOW where the pinpoint button would sort of dim the display some and it still worked perfect as far as I could tell. Performance was there, however it seemed volume of the audible signal was a bit lower. I buy my 9v alkaline cells at the local dollar store. Sometimes they are in packs of 2 or 4 for a buck!

I dont have a good figure on battery life only because I have either left the unit on or bumped the on/off button while taking it out of the car etc. The manual states to expect 20-25 hrs from an alkaline and approx 8 hrs from a rechargeable battery.