Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Platypus vs 12.5" EXcelerator Searchcoil or 14" EXcelerator Searchcoil

stumpr

I am new to the Quattro. In the beginning, I bought this machine for just relic hunting bad ground in Maryland and Virginia. My other two machines, a Nautilus DMC IIB and a Whites MXT both have their own special attributes depending on where I am hunting. However, the Quattro is rock steady and I feel that it could compete with my other two machines when I hunt good ground. However, I have noticed in some head-to-head testing, both the Nautilus with the 10.5" coil and the MXT with the stock 9.50" coil go deeper and discriminate better than my Quattro with the stock 10.5" FBS coil. I am considering either the Platypus, the 12.5" EXcelerator coil, or 14" EXcelerator Searchcoil as I have heard good things about these products. Any thoughts out there?

I can't offer anything on the choice of larger coils for you but you say you are new to the Quattro. It may be that as you are used to the other detectors you can get the best out of them, I would be curious to see if you still felt the same way when you are more familiar with the Quattro.
Regards
John

Thanks so much John...........I was testing all three machines in a very controlled relic hunting environment.........the woods in my back yard where I have targets that have been burried for at least five years. This is sweet ground......literally no mineralzation. Both Nautilus and MXT could discriminate bullets at 10" where the Quattro could only give me a low iron signal with corresponding VDI. I used the AUTO sensitivity setting as well as running the sensitivity at 18-19....the results were the same. I have other relics burried in my test bed with similar results. A bullet at 8" in my with the Quattro was quite loud with a nice sharp sound...........it is just that last two inches. I really do like the Quattro but I am not sold on the stock coil, hence my question concerning the Platypus and the EXcelerator coils.

I have been using a Platypus for about 3 weeks now and think it is a huge jump forward over the stock coil. It seperates targets much better. I have found many good finds in the same hole as junk since having the Platypus, I never had this in the 4 months I used the stock coil. Also pin pointing two targets that are close is much easier.

I don't do a lot of hunting where targets are deep so cannot comment on depth, but the machine just feels more accurate now. If that makes any sense.

Regards,

David

Dlsa, how big is your coil? That sounds very interesing, but my understanding is the smaller the coil the better the separation of targets. Marc.

Wow!!!!! I'm really surprised that if they'd been buried for 5 years or so, you couldn't detect the (10 inchers) with the Quatro. I've found penny's at the beach in wet sand at over a foot, but, I don't know how long they were buried although, they were newer penny's. Marc.

Hi Marc,

the Coil is 8.5" x 11.5". The sales pitch is on www.coiltek.com.au and I read the review by Andy Sabisch at http://www.goldbummin.com/plat.htm before buying it.

I think the fact that it is elliptical helps the seperation. I was very tempted to go for the smaller Joey coil which apparently is much better in very trashy areas but I'm only an amateur at the moment and tend to avoid anything too challenging/trashy (but that will change). I just think it is much better than the stock coil for what I do at the moment. I would love to have the cash to get a range of coil sizes but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Hope that helps.

David