Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Playground searching

Kiwi

Hi, can anyone give me some advise about how to search around the metal poles of playground equipment without picking up the metal signal from the steel, I am using a X-terra 50, cheers from down under in New Zealand

Back your sens down, and listen for a double beep, 1 beep usually means the pole, 2 beeps or more means you have passed over something on your way back, i sweep in and out, rather than sidewais:twodetecting::minelab::usmc::thumbup::usaflag:, experiment by putting a coin very close to the pole and slowly moving it out, listen to what the X is saying and reading, sometimes you will be running near no sens to get right into the pole, but will still beep on the coins, give it a try, experiment,

I'm also a fairly new user of the x50. I've found some success turning my back to the poles in the playground equipment when I get right on them. My x50 seems to be more sensitive from the front than the back.

I use whatever is on the detector at the time, I don't own any coil smaller than a 7 in.I usually have a 9 or 10 on whatever i'm using, I just can't get along with small coils, seems to slow me down too much, and i get terrible frustrated when something slows me down:minelab::detecting::thumbup::usmc::usaflag:

I rarely find jewelry in the playgrounds and when I do its usually just off the swingsets. Never found any rings there, just chains and earrings. I usually get a good haul on coins.

what locations do you recommend in playgrounds?

HH
Neil

Back where Ma and Pa stand to swing the kids, that's where the kids yank mommys necklace off, while she's a pushin em, and in the flat areas where they roughhouse and waller, no toys or nothin around, i'll post a find from today, out in the middle, of nowhere, between ball diamond and play area :)

Thanks Bugar.

Nice ring find on the post above.

HH
Neil

Although the sand pits can give up some decent coins I go for TREE's, tree's and more tree's, the more shade the better as kids love tree's. I can not tell you enough how many things I have found under a good shady tree! Around soccer or football posts too! Not many people give the time and effort right out on large fields, its hot, sunny no tree's around but I can assure you these areas bring riches to those who give the time.
Cheers!

Kiwi, I am not that familiar with the xterra line, but I know the sovereign pretty well. When I search play areas, especially sand ones, we only have two or three that are rubber or wood chips where I live, most are sand. In sand, small rings, pendants, and chains are very easy to lose. I hunt these in zero discrimination, not all metal. I use my old school analog machine for playground hunting, I have Tesoro golden sabre machine for this, with 8 in coil. I find that target id is not practical since I'm really looking for those nothing,peep signals (which are the kind to listen for when looking for thin chains and earrings. I find that the old school machines are less sensitive to the playground equipment, and don't overload as often.

I hunt the entire kiddie area when I can, most hotspots are under swings, and near anything kids can sit, hang on or slide on. Under the equipment, which is the hardest place to look, there are also some good finds to be made, if you can keep from bumping your head. Ouch!

Depending on how good your playgrouds are, in terms of finds, you should be able to find small gold and some silver fairly regularly in kiddie parks. Larger gold is, of course, rather rare in these spots. Of course, by doing this, I find loads of coins, pull tabs, foil pieces, pencil erasers and many pieces of kids' junk jewelry too.

Just my two cents,

mark

My best success is the 50 foot radius around the playground, not the playground itself. Lots of kids run to and fro, and that's where Mom & Dad sit while watching the kids play. Plus other detectorists hit the playgrounds regularly, then leave, not considering the adjacent area.