Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Please Help!!!

I just got an excalibur 1000 and I'm afraid of using it in the water,since, it is a used detector. Can anyone tell me what pieces are needed, for example to dip it in the water(beach)? Or, if minelab would accept to do a check up on my unit and how much would it cost? This is the first time I have a water machine and by looking at all the reviews I think I made a good decision in buying this brand. Anyways, any advice by all the excalibur users would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot and regards, to all of you on this forum, all the way from South Texas, almost Mexico.

Terry,

I don't know what the check-up would cost, but I have bought used Excal's and have had no issues with them in the water - I understand your hesitation, but even with a check up, you will end up having to get into the water with it at some point.

As far as scoops, I don't know what to recommend, others do far more beach hunting than I do; I have a stainless scoop for gravelly areas though, it's pretty heavy duty. For just sand, I would go with something lighter probably. I don't have just sand in my area, and need something pretty strong to handle the abuse it gets in the water.

But read the forums here, they are a goldmine of information, and everyone is helpful when you have questions. Sorry I can't be of more help right now.

If Minelab charges too much, you could test it in the tub with fresh water and no batteries. If water gets inside, you can dry it out without damage to the circuitry.
I've never owned an underwater machine, but I've repaired circuit boards that were "damaged" from soda spills by washing and rinsing them under warm water and making sure they were completely dry before putting them under power.
Its saved my friends a lot of money. I would take the risk myself but its your choice in this matter.

You made a good choice. Many say the Excal (or a Sovereign, same machine) is the best there is in terms of water hunting performance in both depth and handling salt or mineralization.

Ism gives some excellent advice, as the bath tub thing was what I was thinking too. Far less risk to the electronics if they get wet in fresh water. Take the batteries out of the POD like he said, and then put the POD back on and submerge the machine in the bathtub for a few hours. Take it out and if no water is in the battery POD then shake the tube the electronics for the machine are in and see if you hear any water in there. If not, put some batteries in her and see if she works. If she doesn't then don't panic. Most electronics will work fine after they are dried out well. And then you can just send it to Minelab and probably there will be no need for any electronics repairs, but just to fix what is causing the leak.

I dropped a cell phone in a pond one night when I was camping. Actually it wasn't my fault. I was drunk (of course, I was camping!), but an idiot friend (also drunk) decided to pour camp fuel on the fire. Of course the fire ran up and into the can, so he threw the can into the pond. Only problem was he only threw it a few feet in, and so fire was slowly spreading from it with the risk of catching a big batch of dried cat tails on fire. I ran into the pond and sunk the can by hand to stop the fire from spreading more. In the process I dropped my cell phone in the water. A few hours later after it was good and dry by the fire it worked fine.

What p*ssed me off even more was I had warned him about doing that on a prior camping trip, because he at that time also caught camp fuel can on fire doing the same thing. He sat the can down (in the woods mind you) with fire gushing out of it and ran yelling "let's get out of here!" On instinct, I grabbed a jug of water and poured it onto the can and put the fire out. Dumb move, as the fuel could have spread from doing that all over me, but it worked anyway. I scolded him that he could have burnt the woods down but he ran off like a child, and he tried to make a joke out of it by saying we were just having camp fun. The funny part is I had the perfect line for that. I yelled back..."Camp fun?! If your idea of camp fun is giving somebody third degree burns or burning down the woods because you ran like a baby then you've got some serious issues!" :biggrin: I was mad as h*ll that night, but these years later I can finally laugh about it. For a long time I couldn't. That's why the second time it happened, with me losing my cell phone, made me even more angry. Sure, I do some stupid things when I'm drunk and camping, but I always have enough sense not to risk starting a major fire or getting somebody burnt badly. :biggrin:

Critter,

I sure hope your pray for your poor mother.... You do get yourself into some situations.... and she must have had a hell of a time raising you.
:drinking: & :hot: = :help:

But I have done the fresh water test in the tub thing myself - raises your confidence somewhat too that all is well.

:biggrin: Keep in mind you're only hearing the best of the best in terms of some of my stories. I've never been in trouble with the law, never really was one to get in fights, didn't and don't dabble in drugs, and for the most part have kept my nose clean in terms of trouble. Heck, I think the last ticket I got was 10 years ago when I didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign. Was even smart enough not to knock some girl up without having the money to and being married. I'm a good boy, or at least I'd like to think that. :biggrin: