Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PLZ help with detctor purchase

Cibola

Hello all,

I do a variety of metal detecting, mainly coins but sometimes relics, nuggetshooting or along the beach ( not in the water). I am currently using a Fisher F5 and in the soil condition where I live I can only detect to a maximum depth of 6" with a good tone feedback. I can hit targets deeper but they are iffy sounding.

I do sometimes dig those iffy signals and sometimes get lucky. Problem is the modern stuff around here ( last 30 so years of coins) are in generally the first 6 inches and the older GOOD stuff is deeper. Most old targets I get are around 8" or more IF I decide to dig that deep on a poor signal.

I ground balance constanly....soil is highly mineralized in places and have tried a variety of settings and am unable to improve the depth performance.

Question.....what would be a good deep detector for around 600$...this is the budget I have for a new unit. I dont have a lot of experience with other models and would appreciate any help or advise.

Thx all!!

MXT is a good detector and likely you could buy a used unit for around $500
Garrett new AT PRO for around your price seems to have good reviews.

If you are having trouble getting more than 6 inches with the F5 than I would be cautious about any other single frequency machine and wouldn't buy one unless you find someone else using one in your soils who can let you know how it works. So I would try to talk to other detectorists in your area and find out from them how their machines work. If there is a detector club in your area that would be a good place to meet others. If not try and find a multi-line local dealer who is familiar with the area who can tell you which machine works best.

Finally if I was going to pull the trigger on a machine without talking to other local users, I would probably go for a used Minelab FBS type machine as their multi-frequency system does well in mineralized soils. For $600 you should be able to find a nice Safari, Explorer 2, or perhaps even an Explorer SE. Though be aware that the audio system on the Minelabs are quite different than the Fisher machines plus the Minelabs are heavier and poorly balanced compared to the Fisher F series machines so they will feel heavy and clumsy next to your F5.

Do you have any accessory coils for your F5?

Before you move on to the Fisher CZ or the Minelab Explorer, I'd try the accessory coils. They do make a difference.

HH
Mike

Hello MIke,

I only have the stock coil and the 5"dd.

Pleasure to hear from you. I read all your posts on the F5 before I commited to buying it!! It is a great machine...and I still love using it.

I had thought about buying a larger coil for increased depth but was wondering instead what detectors might give me greater depth in this mineralized iron laden soil in my area. I figured a larger coil might get me another inch or two, but was really curious if a different detector might go further.

The F5 has proven itself time and again as a coin magnet. My buddies I detect with cannot believe how fast I can find and pull coins without stopping to fiddle with adjustment screens or submenus. One of them uses an xterra and other a xlt.

For me the only drawback I could ever find with the F5 is the build quality....other than that it is amazing. Quick adjustments, GB on the fly, light unit with lightning recovery speed and great target seperation.

I would be curious to hear what you think about other coils MIke, HH :)