Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PNI varmit

Reg

Hi All,

Well, I purchased an old BFO/TR recently. This is a PNI Varmit from the 70's era that didn't initially work. Fortunately, the problem was nothing more than a dirty switch and with a shot of WD 40, it was up and running.

BTW, if anyone has a schematic of this detector, I would appreciate a copy of it if that is possible.

What surprised me was the fact, this detector appears to work both as a BFO and with the flip of a switch, changes to a TR type detector. Considering it is using a mono type coil commonly found on a BFO, I was surprised that a TR could be built using it. Anyway, it does work and quite well for the old TR type design.

One thing that intrigues me is when in the TR mode, it is less sensitive to ferrous objects and has decent sensitivity to today's coins.

On the down side, this detector suffers from the ground sensitivity associated with both TR and BFO type detectors.

What is interesting is the fact that the tuning capacitor is used for both the BFO and the TR mode

Now, I need to see if I can add a couple of features when time permits that might make it more useable in bad ground.

Once again, if anyone has a schematic of this detector and is willing to share a copy of it, I would appreciate it.

Reg

....Reg....this detector also came with an oblong solid coil that was more built for the TR discrimination mode...I have notice that in being sold recently some have lost this coil....