Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pocket spill saves the hunt

DougF

Things are a bit dry around here, so I went to a wooded area in a park this morning rather than dig in the turf. I have hunted this area before, but I thought it was worth another shot. Went almost two hours without a single coin, then got a silver-sounding signal, but the numbers were jumping around. It was pretty deep though, so definitely worth digging. Found the 1935 Merc. first around 6 inches deep. The 1920 Merc. and the three wheats were about the same depth, but I had to enlarge the hole to find them. The wheats were 1919, and two 1930. These would have been easy to miss, they were close to a large piece of wood that I kicked out of the way. A little warm today, about 80, but better than yesterday (90+). That's a fake diamond in the upper right in a piece of junk jewelry.

Went back to the same wooded area today. I got a nice silver signal bouncing between 00-27 and 00-29, showing a depth of about 9 inches. Expecting a silver quarter or half. It took me at least 10 minutes to dig it, due to lots of roots. Finally scooped out a handful of dirt with a large coin (non-silver). It was down at least nine inches. It's a medal issued in 1880 for the 150th anniversary of the founding of Baltimore. Originally it hung by a ribbon from a pin. I wish it had been a seated half, but it's a interesting find. It's the size of a half dollar. Other finds just junk.

Gorgeous! I love this kind of stuff more than coins since they're so unusual. Well done.

MikeO said:
That is a token I have never seen. Rather cool looking. I like the story behind it.
Did you read the history of George Calvert:

Thanks for the link, Mike. I knew some of that info, but some was new to me. Before I found this I knew about Cecil Calvert, but not about his father George. This was the first really old find at this spot, only early 20th century coins up until this. If it wasn't for the undergrowth, I might find some more older things and coins.