Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Poison Ivy!!!:veryangry:

kcdigit

Any good tips to prevent poison ivy other then staying out of the woods. I wear gloves for protection and try to be careful around it when it is vi sable, but I still manage to get it on occasion. I have only been out land detecting a few times and already have it on my wrist and hand. Any good soaps to use after a hunt and whats the best product to get rid of it quick.

Sincerely, A very itchy KC.:help:

Walmart has a poison ivy soap-can't remember the name. I am now looking at my almost empty tube of Ivarest. On NCIS, I saw Gibbs recommend baking soda and vinegar:biggrin: Here's what I did-before I found out about the soap. First I lathered with Dial, scrubbing the sores with a brush. (BTW, SOME have recommended leaving the soap on until it dries)Then I bathed it in ALCOHOL- OUCH! Then I applied the Ivarest. Had it for 2 weeks.
Forgot to mention-the water should be HOT! It, coupled with the alcohol will give you about 30 minutes relief and then apply the Ivarest-or whatever you choose.

If you don't get the oils off in a given time frame (like a half hour), no amount of soap is going to work.

dont forget that even though you avoid the plant leaves on the surface,if you touch or dig through a poison ivy root you will get it..... the worse case of poison ivy i ever had was in the middle of winter....no leaves in site but i got the root juice on me --bad news....

I have read more than a couple articles that if you don't break the leaves, stems or roots, the oil will not get on you, therefore you won't be affected. I have walked through it many times with shorts on as the leaves brush my legs and no breakout.
If you are swinging your coil through it, chances are they are breaking. If you get the oil on anything, coil, rod, boots, gloves, clothes and you touch them later, you may get it.
Some are more susceptible than others.
As far as a remedy, I don't know of a miracle one.

I am lucky, I can sleep in it and it does not bother me. My kid can walk by it and get a bad case.

Well it helps to be able to identify it even if it doesn't have leaves. You can usually spot it wrapped around trees and it will have a red hairy sort of vine. I bought some lotion called Ivy Block and still use gloves, long sleeves etc. But of course, the best way is to avoid the woods... I get it so bad I have to go to the Dr and get on prednisone.

kc, there is a discussion also to read on the E trac, minelab forum posted May 9, 2011, lots of good tips here http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,1466770,1467643#msg-1467643 Or topic search Poison Ivy, should pop up. I tried the Clorox approach recommended there, seemed to work. But fortunately it was only just beginning on my wrist where the glove wasnt covering my flesh. After a huge whole body attack last year I am very careful. If it is all over and you cant sleep due to itching, try an oatmeal bath. It saved my sanity one year. You can buy the oatmeal bath packets very cheaply at any drug store, etc. CO

Google 'jewelweed'. Hopefully it grows in your area. I have a large patch of jewelweed growing at work. Whenever we go out to cut down trees I grab a handful of the stalks. If I know I am going to be in contact with poison ivy, or realize that I already did, I rub the jewelweed sap on any exposed skin. It neutralizes the oil.
Cool thing is jewelweed can usually be found near where poison ivy grows. They both thrive in similar conditions.

I've used jewelweed for insect bites and scrapes also, just squeeze the stems and use the juice. Once one has seen it and it's yellow flowers one can't mistake anything else for it. It grows in groups (or more accurately patches).