Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Poison Ivy!

TallTexan

Hi, I like to relic hunt in the woods but am having trouble with poison ivy. Are there any proven methods of boosting one's immunity against this spoiler of woods hunting? Thanks! Martin

Martin, dont know about the immunity thing. I had two attacks (bad) last year. I am trying surgical gloves this year, long sleeves, etc. In the woods I definately wear blue jeans and high thick socks. Im keeping some poison ivy wipes in the car, dont know if they work, saw them at drug store. Of course sometimes you get into roots, before the plant is above ground and easier to spot. Also some folks react even to the pollen in the air. I also used Tec- nu Extreme Medicated Wash for poison ivy, comes in a tube to use on the spot. That seemed to help with my second bout last season. If it goes whole body, dont forget about oatmeal bath (again available at Pharmacy) You might sleep most of a night after one of those. Good Luck, CO

hi texan. some guys i know will actually suit up in tyvek suits or dress with an old shirt and old pants over their good clothes, even going to the local goodwill and spending two bucks for an old pair of pants and shirts, and throwing them away after the hunt. longsleeve shirts help a lot too. i've heard it also helps to apply a thick coat of lotion to exposed areas to help keep the oil off your skin. throwaway rubber or latex gloves are worth their weight in gold too. some guys also wear the same pair of shoes everytime they go out, and keep them on the porch or in the garage in a plastic bag. i call it all "supercheap insurance".

lots of guys make the mistake of working up a good sweat, then wiping their brow with their hands, not even thinking about what might be on their hands. that's where the doo wraps and bandannas come in. don't forget to rinse or wipe off your machine when your're done if you do happen to get into a patch of ivy - we're always setting our machines on the ground to dig the target. i hope this helps, and good luck.

hi texan. some guys i know will actually suit up in tyvek suits or dress with an old shirt and old pants over their good clothes, even going to the local goodwill and spending two bucks for an old pair of pants and shirts, and throwing them away after the hunt. longsleeve shirts help a lot too. i've heard it also helps to apply a thick coat of lotion to exposed areas to help keep the oil off your skin. throwaway rubber or latex gloves are worth their weight in gold too. some guys also wear the same pair of shoes everytime they go out, and keep them on the porch or in the garage in a plastic bag. i call it all "supercheap insurance".

lots of guys make the mistake of working up a good sweat, then wiping their brow with their hands, not even thinking about what might be on their hands. that's where the doo wraps and bandannas come in. don't forget to rinse or wipe off your machine when your're done if you do happen to get into a patch of ivy - we're always setting our machines on the ground to dig the target. i hope this helps, and good luck.

Me and a buddy of mine were hunting a construction site near Berryville,VA a while back and got in to it really bad. The Field was mowed and you could not tell what you were diggin in.Lots of little roots.Well, the next day we were covered.It was about 90 that day and wiping the sweat just made it worse.I have tried a lot of things even long sleeve shirts and gloves but once the poison touches the surface its there until you wash it.Going home right after and showering helps but does not prevent.Just use caution and as mentioned, "Stay Away" from it.The roots are the worst!
HH

There is a homeopathic remedy called rhus tox something that I've used for Poison Ivy the last couple of times and it will stop it after a couple of days. Its a derivative of the poison ivy plant that knocks down your sensitivity. They sell it in these little round tubes and they sell it in drop form at most natural remedy type stores. It really does work and if you use the drops ahead of time it makes it harder to get in the first place and easier to stop it. This might not work for everybody, but it worked for me and I get poison ivy just about every time I relic hunt.

relics4plus- you know when I got it huge last year , I had seen on TV a travel logue for one of those you hunt gem places in the Carolinas. Well we took the kids on spring break and there I was diggin in the ground and yankin unknowingly on those stubborn roots, I swear I was milking the oils directly onto my unprotected hands- After 3 weeks I was broken out so bad I was just about to go to the ER, when it finally let up, yeah those roots are the worst. CO

I have never gotten it and have pulled it up and cut it out of deer stands. Poison sumac either... My buddy that was with me cutting the vines out of deer stands ended up in the hospital with it in his eyes, mouth, lungs and all over his arms, face, etc. He was in there for over a week! If your alergic to it stay away is all I can say after seeing what it did to him! It was the worst I have ever seen! He has been hunting with me for over 25 years since childhood but never got it like this... It may have something to do with him asking me to throw my machette up and cutting large vines the size of ship ropes...ha It's funny now, I warned him and since he saw me do it he insisted I throw him that machette!!! You can bet he will never ask for it again to cut a vine out of a tree!
I don't think anything will stop it if your allergic to it honestly!
Anything is worth trying though!
I like the tyvec suit idea!

Poison oak, Ivy or sumac has never bothered me. I worked around it for many years (USFS). Now my wife, that is a different story, all she has to do is look at it, and she breaks out all over. I have also heard clorox works good.
Ramon

I recommend Hyland's Ivy Block Lotion, which is available at many stores and on Amazon, eBay, etc. It is fairly thin and dries quickly. Put it on 15 minutes before you hunt and you should be protected against Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac. Since using it, I have only had 1 small spot, whereas before, I would get covered with it.
Never tried Clorox, but do use Tecnu or Zanfel, but mainly prefer Zanfel since I only need to use it once, whereas I have to use Tecnu 2 or more times before the Poison Ivy oil is completely eliminated.

I have seen someone use rubbing alcohol where they touched it. I personally have never had poison before *ducks from flying rocks* haha. I actually did not even know the roots had the oils on. Learn something new everyday I guess!

Use the clorox full strength, The posion Ivy will start drying up in a couple days. dont use it around your eyes. if you have it around your eyes dont mess with it .See A doctor. Russ

If you get it, try using alcohol swabs. They help dry it up. Try not to scratch it, it will make it itch more. Pants and long sleeves can help some but they will also retain the poison ivy oils. You can try using boots instead of sneakers. Once you are done, wash they off as soon as you can. If you get the oil on your skin, wash yourself right away. This will disperse the oils and you will be less likely to get it.

I got it when I was young. Had it all over my face and my cheeks blew up like a balloon! I missed the first two weeks of 2nd grade. I still get it but try and avoid it when possible.

You eat the new buds when they come up on the poison ivy vine. Each day for two weeks you eat the buds as they grow bigger. I gave it a try, but all it did was give me a scratchy throat.

Jewel weed is a very good on the spot remedy. Also called touch-me-not.

Thanks for all the input....I have been away for a couple of weeks and just now have had the chance to read messages! Thanks again for all of the advice! Martin.

And what ever you do don't touch down there no matter how bad you got to take a whizz its no laughing joke once you get it in that area..

Please dont eat poison ivy lol. Although you can gain at least temporary immunity by repeated exposure, but thats not too fun. Stay clear of it an take a cold shower when you get home, tecnu helps.