Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Polar Plot

maansman

I have seen on videos, and I know it was discussed hee several times, but do you guys rely on the polar plot to dig or not? Some say it's the bible, other say dig everything...your thoughts?

I rely on polar for what not to dig more than what to dig. Anytime the three lines point to the left side of the chart, I don't dig. I pass many penny signals too if the 2.5 leg has no forward slant. I will also pass on a dig when 7.5k is dominant.

Howdy maansman--

I've tried polar plot but I find that between the audio, vdi, and the information that I get from pinpointing that it's unnecessary for my hunting sites and style. I figure that if I accept a vdi # and I get a solid hit on it - I'm digging it! On many of the older sites that I hunt, vdi's from 25 - 60 that pinpoint with 7.5 dominant, I am DEFINITELY digging! $2.5, $3, $5 and $10 Gold Coins pinpoint with 7.5 dominant. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

5900_XL-1 said:
I rely on polar for what not to dig more than what to dig.

I agree with that. I most of the time I can tell if its a good target from a bad one but cant tell if its a coin or a ring. There are lots of sites that I can go from target to target quicky and tell if its something I want to dig or not. Can I get fooled sometimes on pulltabs....yes. Usually. the wave is so bad on most of the signals...theres almost no way that it can be a good target.

I think 5900 has the right rational on this.

Howdy JamesBondaka--

I am always eager to refine my hunting methods and I keep an open mind about trying or in this case re-trying a new technique. In your experience using polar plot do you find it to be a reliable tool in analyzing targets in the 10+ inch depth range? Also, do you employ it on all targets prior to digging or only in specific vdi ranges? This is a very interesting discussion. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel said:
Howdy JamesBondaka--

I am always eager to refine my hunting methods and I keep an open mind about trying or in this case re-trying a new technique. In your experience using polar plot do you find it to be a reliable tool in analyzing targets in the 10+ inch depth range? Also, do you employ it on all targets prior to digging or only in specific vdi ranges? This is a very interesting discussion. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Hi Squirrel....long time no see.

Possibly, in other parts of the county.....maybe.....but 10 inches here is more less out of the question. In dry sand or low mineralization....possibly....but I still think that is pushing it.

I generally dont. Only when Im in an area of high trash...is it very useful....in getting to the good stuff and not even digging the bad. Is it 100 percent ....No but does it work a major part of the time...absolutely! There are very subtle differences to the wave...like all detectors the more you use it...the better you should get. This is one of those things for sure.

Polar plot would be more in the 6" range or less.

James, thanks for the info on HOW and WHEN polar plot is most useful! In relic hunting it may be useful in helping to distinguish between a horse shoe nail and a desirable target. Now you really have me thinking. If i can master the use of this feature, I can change my strategy at a 1950's era tavern that was demolished a few years ago. In the past because of the abundance of pull tabs, wine screw caps and other trash, I rejected all targets below +75. That strategy put plenty of mercs, wheat cents and a few Walking Liberty halves in my pouch. BUT I know that I left behind the nickles, Indian Cents, small silver jewelery and gold. Thanks for rattling my cage! hahah

Glad to see that you are still pulling goodies out of your "silver mine" ! We never get it all! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel said:
James, thanks for the info on HOW and WHEN polar plot is most useful! In relic hunting it may be useful in helping to distinguish between a horse shoe nail and a desirable target. Now you really have me thinking. If i can master the use of this feature, I can change my strategy at a 1950's era tavern that was demolished a few years ago. In the past because of the abundance of pull tabs, wine screw caps and other trash, I rejected all targets below +75. That strategy put plenty of mercs, wheat cents and a few Walking Liberty halves in my pouch. BUT I know that I left behind the nickles, Indian Cents, small silver jewelery and gold. Thanks for rattling my cage! hahah

Glad to see that you are still pulling goodies out of your "silver mine" ! We never get it all! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

You are quite welcome! If I may suggest....do some tests before you try to rely on this option. I am not a relic hunter so I cant give you much info on that. As far as coins & jewelry you can get a lot of info about the polar plot IF you know what to look for. There are a lot of factors in the 'wave". If you are unfamiliar with it and dont look at the "small" details....you will make mistakes but in a reasonable amount of time....you will understand what you are looking at and make the right call. Other manufactures use other ways or numbers etc to figure out what is what....this is just another way of doing it. Again, it is not perfect but from my experience it has a high degree of success. There are some aspects of the v3i that makes it unique and it will find things that some other major brands WILL not. I found this out by accident but I know it to be accurate.

Thanks....I have my doubts on whether there is anymore good items at this site....but on the other hand....I didnt think there was anything of any degree in the first place....so I guess we just got to try again and see.

Good luck to you and I hope you find some BIG nuts etc and LESS of what you dont want.

It is just ONE of many indications to tell you weather or not to dig or not dig But it is a GOOD one
Don

It's not really accurate for me past 4-6" so I still use a combo of everything to tell me to dig or not. which also depends on the day. size, shape, sound (and how tired or how much time is left, lol)