Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Political Pin?

mrwilburino

Found this in a 120 year old northern Ohio park. It is about the size of a quarter and appears to be a man in a Victorian era suit wearing a hat and sporting a beard and mustache. It looks like he's sitting on a throne or at least some type of high backed chair. The chair is on top of another man who may also have a beard and mustache and maybe glasses, it's hard to tell. There appears to be a word on the base which is completely impossible to make out in the picture. The first letter could be a "C" or a "G" but looks more like an "O" to me. The rest is unreadable. Possibly something in Latin? The guy in the chair sort of looks like Grant or maybe Garfield. The other piece is the back of the pin. Not much to go on but the clothing style and the throne might be significant. Maybe someone who is into political history can identify this one.

I was thinking that also, maybe too big for a cuff link but possibly a lapel pin. The fastener part is only 1 centimeter wide though, so unless it's really deteriorated over time, it might have been too small for a buttonhole. Not sure how else it would have fastened on.

Is the 1 centimeter measurement the head or the shank of the fastener? I assume that its the head from what you wrote - that would be pretty small for a lapel pin. I tried to do some google searches but didn't find anything. It always amazes me all the stuff we find that no one can explain what it is. We know it had to mean something to someone. Still an interesting find.

The head of the fastener is 1cm. The length of the shank between the head and the main piece is about 1/2cm. It's possible that it was mounted on something larger like some type of promotional souvenir. Could even be a foreign piece or something from some long forgotten local political rivalry.