Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Poll Question: How often do you hunt sites where the steel bottle cap is the primary trash target?

Mike Hillis

I and others are putting alot of time into this steel bottle cap.

I'm curious as to how often folks hunt sites where the steel bottle cap is the primary trash target.

My own personal experience is that probably a third of the modern places I hunt have a section or area where the cap is the primary trash target. The rest of the areas either have light trash or the alum tab and foil replace the cap as the primary trash target.

What say you?

Some of the older parks I detect have quite a few of the rusty caps in them.This is like most of the older parks dating before the 50s as they didn't have the pull tabs, but these rusty bottle caps.
Like most all detectors if you hit a area that is just loaded with them as this is where the pop or beer was opened and the caps thrown on the ground, there is not much hope on picking out too much in with the caps.
Been kind of waiting for one of the people that designed the T-2 to step in and tell us how to over come these if at all possible.

I didn't think that many were left Mike.I did a little trash to treasure ratio dig experiment last summer and and only found two steel caps.That was after digging hundreds of trash targets.The beer caps won't register on the DFX.I think the two that I did find were in the same hole with coins.Do they come in solid on the T-2 or are they broken up at each end?I was thinking about picking up a T2 this spring,but maybe i'll just wait now and see what you guys think.Dave

Maybe try again:bouncy:

:detecting:

I found only about 12 Mikes Hard something caps,some type of wine cooler caps. I have problems with 1c that are half gone from, I believe its from lime thats put on the fields.The penny is almost gone, one I found I was able to read the date and it was 2000 or newer,I could make out 20 not the last two numbers.Using the C$ the number would lock and then jump a little, some thing you know what it might be then you dig it anyway and find a half of a penny.I am not sure where I was going with this other then this cap thing has gone way out there. The coins 82 and up that I dig that are almost gone from the way they make things anymore is sick, caps last forever and coins nowadays last just a few years and are all but gone, not good for nothing.

Tom, I find the same thing with the corroded zincs. It will give a good lock on the copper cents, but wants to bounce some on the corroded zincs. 3b mode really bounces on the corroded zincs. I think the VDI sensitivity (if I can use a :Whites: term is increased in this mode just so its harder to get a solid lock.

Your right, I'm probably taking the cap thing too far. But hey, by the time I'm through with it, there want be anything left to fret over :rofl:

:detecting:

n/t

The main trash item is tin foil and pulltabs where I'm at. So, the bottle cap issue isn't a issue here.

You know what they say....... 46.29547% of all statistics are made up right on the spot. Do you guys work for the government ? :lol:

Ralph

I hunt many trashy beach and dirt/sand parking lot areas. I run into lots of caps in all stages of decomposition. It is amazing how large a range their IDs fall into. On the beach <u>where bottles are not allowed</u> I can find dozens of the crown caps after a party the night before. Those are usually easy to tell, but the ones in parking lots with varying amounts of rusting and flattening give me fits sometimes. I dislike aluminum tabs much more though.

Talking about digging caps.:buds:

I once watched a mate dig a deeeep hole only to recover a HUB cap.:rant:
Now that took the smile off his face. :ukflag::lmfao::ukflag:
.......MattR.UK

Full of bottle caps of all types.