Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Poor Man's Woodshop Arm Cuff Extension Gizmo

Tennrebel

I have a wood-shop and I used my turning lathe to whittle out me a Armcuff Extension Gizmo out of Bodock Wood(harder than hickory). Then I colored it with a magic marker. It's makes a big difference in balance. And I saved over $30.

Would that be bois d' arc, commonly called ironwood?? If it is, I'll bet you dulled a tool or two spinning that!! You might want to find a smooth, curved top bolt too. You'll have a hole in your arm this summer if you don't!!

Nice work! I hope to be able to get out in my workshop this coming week. The armrest extension is one of the things I will be looking at.
I Think I have the materials to do it with aluminum tubing of the right sizes. We shall see.

Jerry

I have seen a number of posts showing this arm cuff extension. Why is this necessary? Is the cuff too far down on the forearm? A factory design problem?

I would like to see pictures of the AT Pro in use Before and After the extension to see just where the cuff is located on the users arm.

On one picture I did see ( forgot where I saw it) the user had the cuff so far back it appeared to be on his elbow. I am just curious as to why this is necessary and exactly how far back on the rod is the cuff being moved?

Thanks

Ray S ECenFL

Probably more of a personal preference than a design flaw. To me it seems a little heavy in the coil and I plan on giving extending the armrest a try. It may turn out to be a complete non issue after a few hunts so I will not do anything that I cannot reverse. The problem for me is two feet of snow on the ground. :ranting:

Jerry

Ray, You asked for before and after pictures. The Atpro has the exact same rod and cuff as the Aces do. Just black in color. Three longer adjustments on a Gizmo. You may not need one? But here are the pictures you asked for.
DSCF6599.jpg

DSCF6598.jpg

DSCF6594.jpg

I would like to make my own extension for my Ace 250, which is probably the same size upper rod as the AT Pro. I do not have any accurate measuring tools, so could someone give me the exact internal and external dimensions of the upper rod (tube). Then I can try to match up the sizes with any available aluminium tube. Imperial and metric sizes would be great, but I can always do the conversion.

Thanks in advance Tarot (Bob)

I hope to be working on that later today, will post what I find.

I took the trip out to the workshop and got my digital calipers. Here are the measurements I found:

S-pole inside diameter = .671 inches
S-pole outside diameter = .806 inches
The wall thickness of the S-pole tubing is .067 inches

These are the numbers I got with a quick check. Use them as a guide.

Hope this helps

Jerry

seems to have overlooked this design flaw. The Ace 250 might have been aimed at a smaller-size younger market (kids) so they made the shorter S rod, but there were ample gripes before on a number of forums about it. Now, with a slightly heavier control housing and going with larger (slightly heavier) search coils on the AT Pro, it can really be felt. Besides, the too-short rod just doesn't feel right and adds to the out-of-balance feel.

The Scorpion Gold Stinger and GTI/GTP/GTAx series all fell much better and are functional whereas the Ace models and AT Pro need attention. Sometimes you have to wonder just how much actual "field testing" the factory people actually do. :confused: Maybe they should have hired Kenny or other innovators to set them straight. :lmfao:

Oh well, at least some of have drier weather headed our way (colder but drier) here in NW Oregon and I can finish my evaluation of the AT Pro.

Happy Hunting to you and all the readers as the New Year approaches.

Monte

Monte, I've been waiting for years for Charlie to call me with a big contract! I have three more products that will make hunting a lot easier. One is directed at a Garrett product again. Nice to see you on the forum.

After looking at the pictures of the Ace 250 I can understand why the extension is needed. I was not aware that the rod end was so short. The first picture is where I normally wear my arm cuff. That would be impossible without an extension. :geek:

Some very inovative extensions have been designed by various users of the AT Pro and ACE 250. Will have to decide what is best way ( for me) when I take the plunge for the AT Pro.

Thanks again to all your replies to my questions. :thumbup:

Ray S ECenFL

Yeah they've been falling behind on the design end of things and they really need to concentrate on it. I don't think any of their engineers even detect which would contribute to the problem and their factory field testing leaves a lot to be desired. They need to get prototype units out to qualified field testers long before production units are released to the public. That didn't happen with the 250, 350, or the PRO.

And where is this drier weather Monte old bud. It's raining cats and dogs out right now. HA. I still haven't gotten out with the Pro and only a couple of times with the 350.

Bill

I just put the AT-Pro ON A Whites S Rod, Like for a Whites Dule Filed Whites Cuff and a Upper cam Lock??? In Whites Accessory Guide. Its called a Space saver Rod Kit P/N 802-5236
And i just used the Garrett back stand driled 2 holes to mount it, And so the coil ears would fit tite i used the Whites rubber washers and one Garrett washer. Nice setup!!! Mickfin

Have you tried contacting Vaughan? Charles's health ain't all that spiffy anymore and all those years of traipsing around the world detecting are catching up to him and he is in his eighth decade.

Bill