Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Positive or Negative GB bias with a CS coil.

KVM2

I am going ring hunting with a clean sweep coil on my Vaquero.. From what I understand ,if you are clock wise from absolute neutral,. that setting is positive and good for small gold items. Going counter clockwise, is negative, and may give more depth, but less sensitivity , to small gold and silver items...Is this correct, and how would you run? The soil is clay and I'll assume maximum depth to be about four inches. I was running my ground balance to the left(counter clock wise) and started picking out quarters in an area I had hit hard. They were deep...If you can sort it all out , I may cease walking around confused. Many thanks

If your assumption is correct, the the next question would be how far clockwise from absolute neutral should one turn the GB knob for optimum performance? Also, how would one go about measuring micro clockwise adjustments to ensure they're repeatable?

A little less positive makes the detector more sensitive in the discrimination mode.

Too much negative makes it unstable. Too much positive makes large silver coins undetectable.

Stop guessing - Power Balance! Monte has some good instructions on how to do it.

tabman

Yes you nailed it, a slightly negative GB will give better depth but less sensitivity to smaller items. Pistitve GB will give you more sensitivity to tiny stuff (say 1-2 grain sized gold nuggets) but won't give as much depth.

I have a ten turn pot on the Vaquero, and have been leaning towards the positive side.. Went opposite the other day, and there seemed to be a noticeable increase in depth. I can go totally neutral in GBing...Something I need to try. Right now, I am going for rings that are reasonably shallow.. I'll get around to power balancing.. I wrote the instructions down some time ago...Atomicscott just solved the mystery of my small ear ring post...I may have had the setting very positive. Here is a question. GB in very mild soil, then go to sand.. If your setting over the soil was to the positive side, the sand being neutral (with much of the iron depleted) would you be much more positive?