Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Possible Etrac problem

diggernash

Hello all,

Went out today for about 5 hours. Dug 2 quarters 2 dimes, and 84 pennies; only 2 of them wheats...yuck Found one old ring. I'm still digging more trash than with my tesoro, but was much better today.

Now my question about the Etrac. How rapidly should the screen update? The tones were updating far quicker than the screen. When I had a good tone, I had to stop the detector over it, let it settle for a second, and then twitch it over the target several times to get the screen to match the tone. After about 30 minutes of this I gave up on the screen and dug by sound only.

I did multiple noise cancels, which always resulted in channel 11 being selected. I did a soft reset and two master resets to no avail. Machine was set to coin mode, fast response, heavy trash, difficult soil. Auto sensitivity was varying from 15 to 20. Tried setting sensitivity to a manual setting of 1, with no change. :shrug:

I rarely heard the threshold tone, which I attributed to trash. Could the machine also not be taking the soil out of the equation correctly? I dug nothing over 4" deep, which also seems wrong for this site.

I've only had the ET out 4 times, I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to send it back in already.

Help!

Jarrett

My etrac does that too especially in trashy areas or where there is many targets under the coil. I just go slower and it seems to even out for me. TMAN...

Hunt by sound and the E-trac will not let you down :wiggle: I have just accepted it for what it is cause I do not believe there is a better detector out there AT LEAST NOT YET!! As far as your depth issue I have found using manual senc. works best for me!! A little noisey but I am finding alot of 8-9" coins in areas I went over with multiple detectors. Here is what I have been doing take a brite colored nylon string that you can roll up on a spindle and take it with you next time!! Put the string down in a rectangle in an area that is small enough you do not get overwelmed with the size of a big area and grid it then move it and so on. Grid the whole area a little at a time you will find them cause they are there!!! And one more thing SLOW DOWN do not let the ground beat you...

Take Care, M.L. Hinds (Lee)

Hey Diggernash. I'm by no means an expert on this. I was playing around with my Etrac today and adjusted my Vol Gain, Vol Limits, and Varialbility from the audio menu. I was also running fast recovery, high trash, difficult ground, and auto sens... Had the best day yet with it. It still nulls out over anything I have masked out but by swinging real slow I get great tones (running 4 tone right now), and the fer/cond numbers seem to keep up. There is a slight lag while it processes between masked items and non-masked with the threshhold nulling out quite often. If you want to avoid the threshhold nulling you have to run all metal. Like I said though, you can mask anything you want and the machine will tone out while in a null. You just have to swing really slow. I did set the gain and vol limits back quite a bit and it really helped me distinguish targets while nulling out. I used my discrimination almost all day. Im new as heck with this thing but I am sure growing to love it. Been getting mostly relics out of an old ghost town that is all trash. Good luck.

Sounds like its working fine. You might want to make sure you are in recovery fast and high trash may help the screen reset faster. Its still faster then the Explorer screeens. Its the tone you need to pay attention to.

Minelab usees a processer, It took me awile to get used to it beeing slow over my F75. The 75 was instant tone and ID. The payoff, is better trash seperation and ID on the ET. And much better in hot ground. I dig very little trash with the ET.