Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Possibly my best find ever.... Pre-civil war? Help please.

burlbark

If this is as old as the 20 stars on the flag than I found my most significant relic of my life and it may be either way.

Using the 4x6 and mixed mode, I found it 40 yards south of the house dump on an old wagon trail. The powder measuring part of it was a couple of feet away and down 4-5 inches, both where found at around the same depth.

The land was granted to a soldier from the Indian wars here in California around 1875. From what I can ascertain he was here around ten years before being granted the land.

Can someone tell me what year this was made? It has 20 stars in the flag and that would put it around 1818. However the pistols with the barrels crossed look like a mix between a revolver and a flintlock. This gives me a range of 1818-1836 at the earliest.

Was this standard issue? There is also an anchor, sabre, paddle and bugle.

I hope there is no issue with posting this twice. Also in the v3i section. I am pretty thrilled. :clapping:

I should add that both sides are the same.

Man, that is beautiful! I can't be of any help with your questions, but congrats! Nice for a California find, too. It's not exactly the Civil War relic capital of the world.

As with Detector is My co pilot...I can't offer any help except to say GREAT FIND! Thanks for sharing. :clapping:

MikeO said:
Nice Confederate Colt Powder Flask. :clapping:

Are you serious? I have looked everywhere for this design and can not find it.

From the research I have done today, powder flasks where already obsolete by the time of the civil war and paper cartridges were in use.

This is not to say that your frontiersman was using paper cartridges and twords the end of the civil war the south resorted to powder and ball.

I need to keep researching and need any help that is provided.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Civil-War-Colt-EAGLE-Cannon-Black-Powder-RIFLE-FLASK-CONFEDERATE-MEDAL-/290871072666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b944579a&nma=true&si=ICyVbSXkx5gMmqSpavuINcSJ1ho%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.aaawt.com/html/firearms/f170.html

IT IS CIVIL WAR

Super Duper thank you so much......! I now have to decide what to do with it. I would like to restore it but am busy detecting :detecting

Thank you once again for the link and information.